doggy style

They're walking through the park with Ella's lovely (but untrained) dog in tow.

James is holding one hand. The leash is in her other hand. It's a perfect balance and Ella is content as they stroll together through the greenery.

"Do you want to stay at my house for the rest of the week?" James asks with an air of casualness however Ella can't help but sense something is slightly off.

"Sure. Won't your parents mind?"

"They're abroad." James says offhandedly but she can hear the undertone of hurt.

Ella understands that James is more lonely than he would ever admit to himself. She's saddened that the boy she loves is loved by no one but herself. There's no doubt people care for him, but not in that earth shattering I would do anything for you type of care.

"I'd love to stay over. Can we just swing by my house before to grab a few things?"

"Don't you have a mounting draw of your stuff in my bedroom?" James laughs.

"Don't ever question a girls need for things that are equally useless and necessary."

"To be fair I have seen the size of your handbags"

"I'll whack you with one if you're not careful." Ella says in a playful tone.

"Watch out Margaret Thatcher is on the loose."

"I was thinking more of a Mary Poppins."

"It's nice that our cultural references range from politicians to children's books."

"I'm well read." Ella says dripping with sarcasm.

After feeling a faint buzz in her pocket Ella glances at her phone. It's just a group chat going haywire as usual. Some kind of scandal that will wash over in a few days but everyone is talking about now.

Ella stills as she sees the stream of messages come in. She wonders if post-Noah James is left with many friends. Sure he had other friends but the loss of a best friend changes things.

Ella tries to subtly think of a way to ask James about his social life beyond her. She struggles and so just comes right out with it.

"Hey you still have friends at school right?"

"Yes...?" James replies puzzled.

"I just wanted to check that you weren't being ostracised after the Noah fall out."

"Well Noah obviously isn't speaking to me, but I'm good with my other friends. I've skipped out on a few hangouts just so Noah doesn't have to feel obligated to be around me. I kind of owe him that but other than that I'm still good with everyone."

Ella feels relieved at this. She didn't think she could bear the thought of being all he had.

"Oh that's good. I'm glad." Ella says with relief.

"And you?"

"Me? Oh I'm fine with everyone at school. There has been a surprising few petty fights lately."

"Probably because you're the most intimidating person to get in a fight with." James says with a fake shudder.

"Are you scared of me?" Ella laughs.

"No but let's just say I never want to get on your bad side." James jokes.

"It's probably because you care about what I think of you." Ella states bluntly.

"You just might be right." James says as he throws an arm over her shoulder.

Feeling a tug on the leash they both look back to see Ella's dog deciding to go to the toilet in the middle of the path.

"Shotgun not picking it up." Ella says hurriedly.

"It's your dog." James snorts back.

"The poo has left the dog so technically it's not in my care."

"Your logic is ridiculous. I can't believe we're arguing about excretement ownership."

"You're supposed to be a loving boyfriend."

"I didn't know being in love with you included a clause of picking up dog shit."

"Or maybe we could just leave it? I mean we're in nature so it will compost... eventually."

"You're the worst dog owner."

Ella mock gasps.

"Fine just give me the bag." James concedes.

"Love you." Ella calls after him as he goes to clean it up.

James without looking back just puts up his middle finger in return.

---------------------

A/N

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to all of you <3

It's so sweet that so many of you have added Ass(ets) to your reading lists and left (hilarious) comments along the way.

Enjoy reading x