Chapter 9- Studio C

Conversation resumed as normal and all went well. Then, Franke asked if everyone except for Mom, The Zieglers, and me could leave.

We all sat down at the table together, waiting for the news.

Franke began.

"So, the reason I called you guys is because I think you have the most potential out of the group. Also, you all see you have Matilda listed under your possibilities. This is because they are going to let two of the Matildas, Oona and Sophia, go. This way they can look for more opportunities. The other two Matildas, Bailey and Millie, and still questioning if they want to leave or not. In other words, they're looking for anywhere from 1-4 new Matildas. The average age for the Matildas is 9, but we have seen Matildas that are anywhere from 8-11. You all fit the part, and they need people to audition as soon as possible. That would mean going to New York City this weekend right after the competition."

The moms took a minute to let all of Franke's information sink in.

My mom spoke up first. "I would be okay to leave right after the competition." She looked to Melissa.

"I don't see why not!" Melissa agreed. 

Franke smiled. "I'm so excited. I chose you three to start working with right off the bat because you're all amazing singers. You three are the only ones that take voice lessons. The plan for this weekend would be to go to the competition on Friday. Then, Saturday after awards, you would have to catch the midnight train to Penn Station. You can stay in your hotel, and meet up with me on Sunday. Does that work?"

The moms nodded and started exchanging phone numbers with Franke. I grabbed Maddie's hand and squeezed it. "we're finally living the dream!" I whispered. 

After one last form was filled out and our train tickets were purchased, we all shook hands with Franke and got up to leave and go to class. Melissa and the zieglers left, leaving my mom to sign one last form. I was walking out when I heard my mom ask Franke a question. I stood in the doorway, behind the door, peeking through the crack to see what she asked.

"Franke, I'm just curious, why does Kendall only have one audition under her list?"

Franke smiled and striaghtened the papers on the desk. As he put them into his briefase, he answered. "Jill, Kendall is the perfect age, size, look, and voice for Matilda. I practically have no doubt that she can grab a role. I have a special connection with this director, and don't tell Melissa, but I already mentioned Kendall's name to him."

"Well, that's just perfect!" Mom said, gleaming.

"Oh, and just in case, don't tell Kendall. I don't want her to get her hopes up if she doesn't get the lead."

I ignored his last sentence. I didn't care. My dreams were coming true faster than I could imagine. Kendall Vertes, Broadway Star. I thought to myself. Nobody can stop me now.

Author's Note- the image in the sidebar is of the four current Matilda's on broadway! From left to right, Bailey Ryon, Millie Shapiro, Sophia Gennusa, and Oona Lawrence.