Chapter 33- Georgetown Cupcake Cafe

"Maddie didn't get the role in a Christmas Story." Melissa explained. That had been the last audition that Abby had planned for her, and if nothing else came up, she would probably be stuck in a rut until audition season next year. I didn't realize they had already found out about A Christmas Story results, and I suddenly felt guilty for assuming that Maddie was just upset because she wasn't doing as well as we were. She had also had a loss, which wasn't fun.

"But, somehow they found a modeling job for her, so she flew out to LA to stay with Kelly and Paige. It's extremely small, a little boutique that would love her claim to fame to bring them more customers. She didn't want me telling anyone at first, but since you asked I thought I would tell you."

It still felt a little confusing. There was a resolution missing. She had a modeling job, doesn't that mean she can be happy again? Kenzie and I finished our food, and went back to rehearsal, the second half of the day going much better than the first.

A few weeks flew by, our shows started, Nia's shows started, and the Hylands and Chloe even made stops to come see our show when they were on their breaks. I stopped worrying so much about Maddie. Maybe she didn't want to be friends anymore. That was fine by me. She was probably making a ton of new friends in LA and at dance competitions, and I was making new friends here. The other Matilda, Katie, and I actually have extremely close birthdays, and we were planning on throwing a double birthday party. Kenzie tagged along with us, and we saw shows all the time. Shopping and eating and dancing in the streets, it was all the same. Just without Maddie. And part of me didn't miss it at all.

But part of me also longed for Maddie to return, for there was a hole in my heart that could only be filled by her.