Chapter 21- The Hotel

Of course, the next person I wanted to tell was Maddie. I was really happy I had gotten the role, but what  if Maddie didn't get in? I was really nervous as I walked over to the door that connected our hotel rooms together, opened our door, and knocked on the door they had control of. 

The door opened, and something completely unexpected happened to me.

Kenzie hugged me.

"Kendall!" She squealed. "I get to be a featured extra!"

I smiled as I hugged her in return.

"And Maddie?" I asked, curious.

Kenzie looked back at Maddie, who was sitting on the bed, staring at the floor.

"Maddie didn't get a role. But it's okay, because Franke said he has another audition in mind for her."

"That's great! I just got my call too!" I said, trying to build up to my announcement.

"Really? Did you get in?" Kenzie called from the bed.

"Yeah! I get to be one of the new Matilda's!"

Then, two reactions that I didn't expect came from the room.

Kenzie started screaming, jumped up on to me, and wrapped her little legs around my waist. "Yay Kendall! I'm so happy!" She sang, hugging me tightly.

Maddie, on the other hand, sat completely still, smiling and waiting. Once Kenzie let go of me, she got up and hugged me. "You're gonna be one of the best Matilda's, I'm sure." She said.

Not being picky, but it seemed like Kenzie was happier than my best friend was.

My best friend, her response was robotic.

It wasn't genuine, like she really cared. It felt like a response I had gotten before.

A response from a while ago.

You're gonna be one of the best.

I shook it off, trying not to think about it. We made plans to out for Georgetown Cupcakes Cafe in an hour to celebrate. In the mean time, my mom called Toni. She wanted us to come when we finished celebrating, she had something special in store for me.

I started to get ready, packing up my purse, and grabbing my phone. I checked my phone to see the time.

There sat my lockscreen, a photo of Maddie and I at nationals in New Orleans last year.

You're gonna be one of the best.

My mind flashed back to that day in New Orleans. We had just gotten offstage at awards, and I had gotten first, Maddie of course taking second. Maddie and I ran back to the greenroom, holding hands, and took pictures for instagram as usual. 

I told Maddie that she did a great job, and that she deserved first. I knew she had been feeling bad that she had lost.

Maddie looked at me and smiled. "It's okay, Kendall. You're gonna be one of the best  title holders Abby ever has."

I remember being hurt after that comment. "One of the best title holders". Maddie was a title holder too. She didn't seem happy for me, she seemed upset. Even if a friend is upset, that doesn't mean you don't compliment your other friend. I won, and Maddie should be happy for me. I know she was trying, but really. Saying I was one of the best titleholders? One of the best? Not the best, just one of the best. She almost complimented herself by saying that. Maddie didn't say I would be the best Matilda, she said I would be one of the best.

It was one of her nice-sounding compliments, that she could back up with a happy interview, saying something like, "I was really happy for my best friend, and even though I didn't win, I think she deserved it." On camera, it looked nice. It made her look happy.

Maddie wasn't used to having to give genuine, happy responses. And even though I knew she was trying, it still made me a little upset.

I didn't feel like the best anymore.

I just felt like One of the best.