Chapter 9

There was a sharp knock at the door and I groaned. Since the girls found out about Harry they had talked about him non-stop, and that was three weeks ago. You can imagine my annoyance at the fact his name was bought up in every single conversation. He had been transferred into another classroom, which Maddie and Ellie had thrown a head fit about, but I explained to them that it was the best thing.

Harry and I had arranged times for him to see the girls. Although he first said he wanted to see them whenever he wanted, he soon saw that the idea was a bit over the top. We agreed that he could see them every other weekend and twice a week in the evening, with holidays and birthdays meaning extra time. The meeting had been civil, and I was hoping it would stay that way. This was the first time he'd be having the girls on his own however, and I was nervous.

I pulled open the front door and Harry was stood on the step, still in a shirt and chinos from his day at work. I didn't say anything, but stepped backwards, allowing him in. I called for the girls and they both bounded down the stairs, squealing. They jumped into Harry's arms and he hugged them tightly.

"Go and get in the car, I'll be there in a minute," he smiled once they'd let go of him, unlocking it with his key.

They nodded, kissed me goodbye and then were out of sight.

"So where are you going?" I asked.

"Thought I'd take them to McDonalds or something...and then maybe back to mine for a bit...I haven't really decided yet."

"Okay, just don't bring them back too late, it's a school night," I reminded him, sighing.

"I do know that," I remarked, rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, I was just checking."

"Okay, well I'll text you when we're on our way back."

"Stay safe, look after them," I whispered.

"Of course I will," he promised, his face softening. "I know that this is weird for you, but they'll be okay...I'm their dad, I'm not going to let anything happen to them."

"Thanks," I muttered, managing a weak smile. "Don't let me keep you, go and have fun."

He grinned and walked away as I shut the door behind him. The house was quiet, too quiet. It had an eerie sense about it, and after living in a house with two girls for over six years, the silence was actually quite unnerving. I went into the lounge, grabbed my phone, and dialled a number.

"Hello?"

"Hey Han, it's Liss."

"Oh hey there Miss Too-Busy-To-Keep-Her-Best-Friend-Updated," she scoffed.

"Look, it's been a weird situation okay, I haven't really know what to say to anyone...the point is, do you want to go and get something to eat? And then I'll tell you about everything."

"Name the place," she replied.

I could hear in her voice that she was instantly happier at the idea of getting food.

"Let's go out of town...we'll go down the marina or something."

"Okay, I'll come and pick you up in ten minutes."

"Cool, see you in a bit."

--

"...and a burger with the...bacon and cheese topping, thanks," finished Hannah, handing her menu to our waiter. "So, spill."

"I blame it all on Louis. If he hadn't told me to go to Holmes-"

"You can't blame it on him, it was your decision to go."