Chapter 26

Lucas’ face remained illuminated for a few more seconds and then he put his phone back into his pocket. He waved at me and then stuck his hands in his pockets, turning on his heel as he did so. I watched as he sauntered down my driveway without a care in the world. I almost laughed. It was almost as if he didn’t realise he was ruining my life. But he did, I knew he did. He wouldn’t be doing it otherwise. He thought I’d screwed him over, and I guess, in a way, I had. But I failed to see that it gave him the right to stalk me, scare me and threaten everything I hold dear.

“Why are you staring out of the window you weirdo?” asked Harry, his arms snaking around my waist.

I shuddered at his touch, not expecting it, but smiling as he placed a gentle kiss on the crook of my neck. It made me feel warm inside and was almost enough to make me forget all of my troubles. Almost.

“I don’t know,” I lied. “Just thinking…tonight’s been eventful.”

He didn’t need to know. I couldn’t ring the police, there was no point. Lucas had gone now, he wasn’t still standing in my driveway and there was no way the police could track him. It would be stupid to call them out here and cause unnecessary worry for Harry and especially for the girls. If it happened again then I’d call them, but I didn’t need to this time. That’s what I kept telling myself.

“I know it has,” he chuckled softly. “Are you sure that’s it though?”

“Mm,” I mumbled, loving the feeling of him holding me. “Come on, I want to get into bed.”

Within five minutes of me saying those words, I was curled up with my head on Harry’s chest. I rose and fell softly with every one of his breaths and I found myself comforted by the rhythm. He was mine and I was his and nothing was going to stop that. And I could only think of one way to make that happen.

“Baby?” I asked, shifting in the darkness and turning on my bedside light. He squinted repeatedly, getting used to the new found glow in the room but nodded in response. “I know I said I couldn’t handle a full on proposal now, and you said that you wanted to wait…but…can I…can I wear the ring?”

“You want to wear it but you don’t want a massive proposal?” he asked, his brow furrowing.

“Yeah,” I replied simply. “I’ve never wanted some huge deal about getting married. But we’ve come this far, I don’t need some insane declaration of love when I know how you feel about me. I just want to know that we’re forever. I want to marry you, I want to be happy with you for the rest of my life. I don’t need a ring to prove it but, I just want the whole world to know I’m yours.”

“You’ve changed your tune,” he laughed, kissing me swiftly. “I thought you hated the idea of fans being involved in our personal lives.”

“They’ve been fine with the girls, the other lads are allowed to get married, so why can’t you?”

“Are you sure?”

“I’ve never been surer of anything.”