Chapter 13

It was now the middle of December. Since our argument on the night of my date with Lucas, my relationship with Harry had remained civil, something I was incredibly happy about. I'd seen Lucas a lot more and Harry had promised to stop meddling in my love life. It had taken a lot more convincing, but he'd finally realised that I was capable of making my own decisions and my own mistakes. I was happy, and that's all I'd ever wanted to be.

"Mummy?" called Maddie, running into my room.

"Mm?" I replied, distracted.

I was editing some photos from a shoot I'd done for JJ Hamblett and his family. I was currently behind in my work, and I needed to catch up desperately.

"There's someone on the phone for you, he says his name is Lucas...and your phone was ringing a few times before," she told me, handing over my phone.

"Thank you honey," I smiled, taking it from her. "Hello?"

"Hiya Liss," I heard, and I instantly broke out in a smile. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah thanks, sorry I didn't answer, I'm working."

"Do you want me to ring you back?" he asked.

"No it's okay, what's up?"

"Well Ryan's staying with my brother for the week, he loves spending time with his cousins...so I was just wondering if you were free to do something but you've got the girls so..."

"Yeah, they're not at Harry's this weekend," I mumbled. "But maybe you could still come round? I mean, we've been seeing each other for a while now, maybe it's time for you to meet them."

"Are you sure?" he asked. "I mean, you've been quite adamant that you didn't really want me to meet them until you were sure of what we were."

"I know," I murmured. "But I want to see you. And the girls'll love you, I'm sure of it."

"Okay," he laughed. "I'll come round about six?"

"Sure...I'll make some dinner or something...and the girls will go to bed about seven so then we'll have some alone time."

"I look forward to it," he chuckled. "I'll see you in a bit."

"Alright, bye."

I threw my phone over my shoulder and heard it land with a soft thunk on my pillow. Turning back to my computer, I almost had a heart attack when I noticed both Maddie and Ellie stood staring at me.

"Who's Lucas?" asked Ellie, perching on the end of my bed. "Is he your boyfriend?"

"No baby," I smiled, taking her hand. "He's just a friend of mine...he's going to come round tonight and you'll meet him, is that okay?"

The twins looked at each other and then nodded.

"But what about Daddy?" she asked. "Does he get to meet Lucas?"

"Maybe one day," I replied, unsure. "Not yet though."

"Why?"

"Because he's...Daddy's a little busy at the moment."

"No he's not," laughed Maddie. "There's only one week left of school so there's not a lot that he can do there."

"He does a lot more than you think love," I giggled. "He has to plan all the lessons and teach them sometimes...and he has to make sure that everyone in his class are safe, and tell them off if they're naughty...he has to do a lot to make sure he's doing his job properly."

"Daddy's amazing isn't he?" sighed Ellie, her head now resting on my lap.

"He sure is," I whispered.