chapter 10

“Sleep in your bed?”

“…Yeah.”

“With you?”

Anaïs licked her suddenly dry lips and nodded. She was getting nervous and she didn’t exactly know why. There was a hungry look on his face, like a wolfs, and she didn’t quite trust his grin. When he leaned in toward her, the grin turning a bit more naughty, if that was even possible, she was sure her heart would stop. 

“You haven’t got a very big bed,” he pointed out, almost teasingly. 

“Well no,” Anaïs stammered, “I guess not but we could-”

And suddenly it all became clear. The grin, the gleam in his eyes, the hunger… Ryder was one horny bastard, she thought with a grin of her own.

“Oh no, no, no, stop right there,” she said, pointing a finger at him.

“What?” 

His face was all innocence but Anaïs could see right through it.

“The only thing that’s going to happen on that bed is sleep, got it?”

“No touching?”

“None,” Anaïs affirmed. 

“Not even cuddling?”

“No contact whatsoever. Pretend there’s a wall between us. You stay on the left side, the right is mine, and don’t even think of using the ‘I move a lot at night’ excuse because I’m not buying it.”

“But I really-”

“Shh, I don’t want to hear it. Is it a deal?”

Ryder leaned on his shoulders as he pretended to think. The position brought him extremely close to her lap and he had the satisfaction of watching her pretty face flush as his eyes traveled past her belly to the zipper of her tight fitting jeans.

“And if you’re the one who crosses the so called ‘wall’?” he asked, his eyes slowly returning to hers. 

Anaïs was being swallowed up by liquid fire and it was all coming from that hot gaze of his. She had almost gone up in flames when he leaned forward and now she felt like her skin was too tight. 

“Uh, um, what?”

What the hell? Talk properly woman, she chided herself. 

“You heard me, but I’ll be more specific just in case you didn’t understand. What if you’re the one so overcome with the need to be touched, the need to find release, that you happen to cross over to my side? What then? All bets off?”