Chapter 5

Waking up the following morning, after over 24 hours on the train, I let my eyes flutter down to my watch. 7:32 AM.

Beau is curled up on my chest. I hate to disturb him, but I need to get up. I gently lift him, and place him on the ground.

I gather all of my belongings, and the things I'm stealing, and put them in a box that I emptied out. I have nothing to seal it closed with, but at least when I throw it off the train, it will stay in relatively the same area.

I approach the door to the train cart, and cautiously open it. We're only going about 30 miles an hour. I lift the box, and throw it off the train. Now, the longer I wait to jump, the farther I'll have to walk to get my stuff.

I grab Beau in my arms, and hug him close to my chest. Then I jump.

The ground hits me like a boulder. I evaluate myself to see how hurt I am. I have some scrapes and bruises, but overall, I'm okay.

I set Beau on the ground, and let him walk a few steps. He seems unaffected by the jump. Good.

I stand up, and start walking over to get my things. The box is about 100 yards away from me. When I get over to it, I examine my surroundings.

I'm in a huge field. It's quite beautiful. A little ways away from the train track is a forest. I'll walk over there, so that I can be hidden by the trees.

I lift the box, and start to walk. After about fifty yards, the box seems to become heavier. My hands start to sweat, my legs ache. But I still have to walk for a while to get to the trees, so I persevere.

After an agonizingly long time I finally make it to the treeline, and set my things down. I'll find a place to set up camp first, and then I'll bring my supplies. I don't want to have to lug that box around everywhere.

I walk about 200 ft deeper into the woods, before I find a small meadow, with a brooke running through it. This is perfect. This is where I'll set up

-------------------

It isn't the prettiest camp, but it will do. Over the past four hours or so, I've been working on it.

I collected branches, leaves, and grass, and wove then together into a carpet type material. Then I used some large logs and made the skeleton of a teepee, and placed the grass carpet over it. Finally I broke the cardboard box down into one flat surface, and used it as flooring, so I wouldn't be sleeping on dirt.

I look at my little hut, and smile. Beau runs into it, and then he runs out again. That silly dog.

I hate to admit it, but I'm starving. I haven't eaten in a day and a half. I'm surprised I haven't passed out yet.

I go through my bag of food, and grab a can of red beans. I pop the top open and try to drain the liquid out as best as I can. Then I pour it into one or my wooden bowls.

I forgot to bring silverware, so I eat with my hands. I eat about two thirds of the beans, and give the rest to Beau.

I don't know how, but I am going to get through the next year and a half, and I won't be discovered. I have to stay under the radar. But I can do it. And then, I'll be 18 and I can start over.

A/N Just a filler chapter. But next chapter , Taylor is going to go exploring. What will she find? Stay tuned? (hint hint- it's on the cover of the book)

Author's Feedback to Past Self: Your main character jumped out of a MOVING TRAIN!!! That was stupid of  Taylor! The fact that she didn't get hurt was pure luck! Also, she's expecting to live in the woods for a year and a half  with only $500? You think this will actually work? Taylor is a slightly ditsy sixteen year old! You know who she reminds me of? Rapunzel in Tangled (even though she's 18) She is ditsy like Rapunzel! Also, I love Beau. Beau is adorable. Beau was a good addition to this book.