Chapter 21

I follow Carter into the enormous barn, and look around. It seems as if the stalls never end.

"Oh my gosh- how many stalls are there?"

"16 stalls, 9 of then are occupied," Carter replies.

"But I thought you said there were only seven rescue horses."

"Yeah. Seven, plus Charcoal and Chester."

I walk up to the first stall, and admire a white, quarter horse mare.

"What's her story," I ask.

"This is Princess. A rescue organization we work with found her abandoned in a pasture. The grass was long gone, and it was winter. She was so skinny you could count her ribs. It was awful. But look at her now- she's beautiful."

"Yeah, she is," I agree, smiling as I stroke her forehead. Then I walk to the stall across from her. He's a dapple gray arabian, and he looks just about three years old.

"And this is?"

"Jupiter. We got him at an auction a few weeks ago- he was headed to slaughter, and we convinced the guy who had won him to sell him to us. We are going to start training him as soon as my parents get back."

Carter leads me to the next stall, which has a massive, black Friesian stallion. He's stunning.

"This horse is crazy- we call him El Diablo because he's such a devilish boy. We love him, but trust me- you don't want to ride him."

"I think I could take him- horses are in my blood."

"I'll have to take you up on that," Carter says, looking into my eyes. We stand still for a moment, until a horse whinnies, bringing us out of our 'moment'.

I walk over to the stall across from El Diablo. It's a black and white paint mare, who is very pregnant.

"This is Yin Yang. She has had 7 different foals, not counting the one shes pregnant with. She has had to give up each of her foals. We are going to make sure she gets to keep this one, and she's never bred again. Her old owner thought of her as nothing but a machine."

"Hey girl," I coo, petting her forehead.

The next stall over houses a chestnut thoroughbred gelding with three white socks and a stripe on his head.

"This is Cupid. He loves everyone, which is surprising because he was severely beaten before we found him. But he trusts people easily now. We found him on Valentines Day, hence the name."

"This is Navajo," he says, gesturing to a pinto quarter horse mare. "We got her at an auction, saving her from slaughter. She's very green, and we are working on training her before we find her a home."

"I could help with that," I suggest.

"Do you really have experience training horses?"

"I trained Ezhno didn't I? He had never been ridden," I retort.

"I guess your right."

We walk to the last stall, and I look in, but don't see a horse.

"Look down," Carter says, laughing.

I do, and I see a palomino miniature pony.

"This is Georgia, and she is our miniature. Mom and Dad say we are going to find her a home, but I don't think we will- she keeps all the other horses in check."

"But she's so small!"

"She may be small, but she's the boss."

I look at Georgia again, and smile. She's so cute, I can't even begin to imagine her bossing around one of the bigger horses, like El Diablo.

"I think we are forgetting someone," Carter chuckles.

"There's another horse?"

"No, but you forgot your dog."

"Oh! Beau," I mutter. "Which stall is he in?"

Carter walks two stalls over, and opens the door. Beau rushes out, completely ignoring Carter, and coming straight towards me. I crouch down, and he jumps up, licking my face.

"Hey boy you miss me?" I say, scooping him up in my arms.

"We should go in so I can finish dinner."

"Finish? You barely even started! All you've done is boiled water," I mock.

A/N what do you think of the horses? I personally like El Diablo and Georgia. Ooh and Navajo. Stay tuned for more.

Oh! and make sure to check out my new book 'Reap What You Sow'! Thanks!