Chapter 23

"Wake up," a far off voice says.

"Five more minutes," I groan.

"No, now." Then I feel a sudden burst of cool air. Carter pulled the covers off.

I crack open my eyes, and reluctantly stand up.

"Ok, ok I'm up." Then I look out the window. "Oh my god, it's not even light yet! What time is it, six am?" I complain.

"Close. It's 5," Carter says, smiling.

"I'm going to kill you. But first, make me coffee."

--------

I sip on my coffee, and eat a piece of dry toast.

"Do you have any dog food," I ask.

"Yeah, actually. We have a border collie named Chloe, but she goes to all the auctions with mom and dad," Carter replies. Then he reaches into a cupboard, and fills up a bowl with food.

Beau graciously gobbles it down. Poor boy- I've been trying to feed him but he's missed a couple meals.

"Ok, let's go feed the horses," Carter says.

I don't reply, I just groan.

-------------

"Ok that's all of them- except Ezhno. But you can feed him because he's mean."

"Don't say that! Ezhno is nothing but a sweet heart. He just doesn't like you very much," I retort, before going to give my horse some feed, which he happily munches on.

"What now," I ask.

"Well, after they eat, we open up the pasture, and let them out of their stalls- don't worry, they won't bolt. You might have to take Ezhno out on a lead because he won't know where to go."

"Sounds easy enough. Is that all?"

Carter laughs before replying. "Um, not even close. We have to clean the stalls, and put down new bedding. And today we need to work on Navajo in the round ring. Then we should probably groom them- we don't have to fully groom them all, but we need to curry comb them all and do their hooves. The really dirty ones, we can do a full groom on. And if you are up to it, I'd like to see you try to ride El Diablo."

"Ok, then let's get moving."

I guess I have a long day ahead of me.