Chapter 27

"I'm starving," I complain in a whiney voice.

"So you've said. Okay, we don't have to do anything else for a while- let's go inside, and I'll cook you something."

------

"What's on the menu Monsieur?" I ask in an awful French accent.

"Leftover spaghetti," he replies, laughing.

He flips open the microwave, and slips the Tupperware container in, setting the time for 2:30 minutes.

"Sooo... don't you have school or something?" I ask.

"Spring break started on Thursday. And it's only Saturday. So I still have a while," he chuckles.

"It's Saturday?" I ask, dumbfounded. I could have sworn it was Monday. I do the math in my head- oh. I guess it is Saturday.

"Um, yeah," he replies, giving me a look as if it were common knowledge. Which it is.

"Well I'm sorry, but when you're on the run, you don't really pay attention to the date," I sarcastically retort. He rolls his eyes, and changes the subject.

"You said you died and cut your hair. What did you used to look like," he asks.

"Long blonde hair," I reply. I pull out my phone, and show him a picture.

"Who's that girl your hugging?"

"That's Julia."

Julia. Wow, I haven't thought of her in a while. She must be worried sick.

"Julia was my best friend. When I was living with Tina, Julia was the only one at school who I could talk to. I had told her I was thinking of running away before, but she didn't think I was serious. When she realized I was, she told me how dangerous it was. Then she made me promise her I'd find a way to tell her I was safe. I never did," I say, off in my own little world.

The microwave dings, pulling me back to earth.

"Finally, I'm starving," I mumble, changing the subject.

Carter pulls the food out, and splits it into two bowls. Then he hands one to me.

We eat in silence. I think about Julia, and he thinks about- well, I really don't know.

------------

"It's time to bring the horses in and feed them," Carter says.

We are sitting on the couch, watching TV. Specifically, spongebob. And no, I am not to old for it.

"Okay," I reply. "Let's go."

We head out to the barn, and open all the stalls.

Then we open the gates, go into the barn, and start ringing the 'dinner bell.' One by one, the horses start filtering into their stalls. Except two- Navajo and Yin Yang. We close up all the stalls, and then go into the pasture to find the girls and bring them back to the barn.

Over in the corner, Navajo is standing guard over Yin Yang, who is lying on the floor.

We run towards them, and I automatically drop to my knees beside Yin Yang.

"Carter, I think she's having her baby," I say, panicked.

"Well, you'd be right. Okay, hold her head. Yeah like that. Just pet her, and talk to her," he instructs.

"Aren't you going to calm a vet," I ask.

"No. The closest vet is an hour away, and she's to far along. I've seen my mom do this thousands of times, and if the vet were to recognize you- well, that would be bad. So no, I'm not calling a vet."

Wow, he's obviously put a lot more thought into this than me. But he's right.

I stroke Yin Yang's mane, and whisper, "It's all right. You're doing so good. Soon you're going to have a little foal. Good girl. It's okay."

"Crap," I hear Carter mutter under his breath.

"What? Is everything okay?" I worriedly ask in a shrill voice.

"Yeah. The foal is just in a more difficult position. That's all. Just keep doing what your doing."

"Ok girl, everything is going to be ok. Don't worry. It's okay. You're going to have a foal soon," I whisper, trying to sound reassuring, but it's impossible to mask the fear in my voice. She let's out a loud 'scream,' and I wish it would just be over.

And then it is. Yin Yang lifts her weary head, and looks at her foal. Carter and I stand back and give then space.

I don't see the baby right away- Yin Yang's head is blocking my view. But after a while she stands up, and on shaky legs, her foal does to.

A beautiful black foal steps out from behind Yin Yang- a little baby girl.

A/N okay, name ideas for the foal! I am going to let you guys pick because I am so happy that I have over 700 reads on this story!!! And if my description of horse birth was vague and or inaccurate, it's because I have never been around a mare when she had her foal.

Thanks for reading my lovelies. And also, go read KassieMarie16 book Ember. I love that book so much, even though it just started.

Goodnight my lovelies.