Chapter 13

By the time we make it to camp, both Ezhno and I are exhausted. I take off his tack, and set it by the trunk of the tree. I let him drink from the pond, and then tie him up. I climb up into the tree with Beau, and lie down. The sun is setting, and I'm exhausted.

As the sun disappears, I drift off to sleep.

--------

I wake up to the sound of my phone going off. I grab it and check the time- it's 9 am.

Carter texted me- ' Hey. Want to meet up today?'

'Um, I'm not trying to be rude, but I barely know you.'

'I know. That's kind of the point- we can't get to know each other if we don't meet.'

I roll my eyes, and surprise myself by replying- 'Ok. Where?'

'How about Starbucks?'

'Um... I'm sort of new here, and I don't know where that is. What if you just meet me at the tack shop '

'Ok, can you be there in half an hour?'

'Yeah. C u then. =] '

I can't believe myself. I can't go through with this. I have much bigger things on my plate than boys.

But... I need to know what kind of home Charcoal has. Yeah. That's why I'm doing this- not because he's cute... and charming. No, it's one hundred percent because of Charcoal.

--------------

I'm at the tack shop, waiting. I look down at my outfit, and realize I have on the same thing I was wearing yesterday. Ugh. Great.

I see Carter heading towards me, and he flashes me a huge smile. I wave.

"Hey, sorry I'm wearing the same thing I had on yesterday. I had a long night and didn't have the chance to change," I say.

"Nah, it's okay. It happens."

We start walking, to where I assume the Starbucks is.

"So... where do you live," I ask.

"About a ten minute walk from Starbucks. We can go there after, if you want."

I'm conflicted. On one hand, I'd love to see Charcoal again. But I'd end up getting really emotional, and how would I explain that without telling Carter the truth.

I could tell him the truth.

NO! He would turn me into the police, and then I'd be back in the foster system. And Ezhno would be back with that man. Or worse- what if the owner was so mad, he sent Ezhno to slaughter. I could never live with myself.

I guess I just have to see if Carter is someone I can trust.

"Maybe," I reply.

"Cool. So here we are," he says, gesturing to the smallest Starbucks I've ever seen.

He opens the door, and we walk up the the counter.

"Hey Carter. And who's this?" a teenage girl asks from behind the counter.

"Hi, I'm Taylor. And you are?" I ask.

"I'm Joyce, but you can call me Joy. Are you new here?" I nod my head.

"Um Joy? Coffee," Carter interjects.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so stupid. Sorry! Carter, you want coffee black, right?" Joy asks. Carter nods.

"Black coffee? Gross!" I comment.

"And Taylor, you?"

"Soy Caramel Latte," I say. I reach into my wallet to get money, but Carter stops me.

"No, it's on me," he insists. I don't object, because frankly, I don't have that much money.

"Ok, is that it?" Joy asks.

"Yeah," I reply.

"Oh by the way, here's my number. If you need help finding anything, text me anytime," Joy says, handing me a piece of paper.

Wow, everyone's so nice here! Except Mr. horse beater who lives at my old house.

Carter leads me to a table, and we sit down. Then we get to talking.

A/N heyy! what do you think about Carter? and Joy? also, long update!!! stay tuned my lovelies.

Author's Feedback to Past Self: Again, Carter seems like a major creep. "Do you want to come back to my place?"

By the way he's written, he seems to want one of two things. To frickle frackle, or to kill Taylor! Yay! You should have written him as less forward.

That's my personal opinion right now! Sorry 12-year-old-me!