Chapter 7

---Flashback---

I'm 6 years old- my birthday was last month. Yesterday, after I rode Charcoal around the ring, Daddy said I was good enough to go on a trail ride, and so that's what we are doing today!

I can tack up Charcoal all by my self, except Mommy has to help me with the saddle. But besides that I can do it by myself because I'm practically an adult already!

Daddy mounts Bronco, and Mommy helps me up on Charcoal. Then she gets up on Strawberry.

"Look at us, the three musketeers," Daddy laughs.

"The what," I ask, too young to understand the reference.

"Nothing sweetie," Mommy laughs.

I grab the reigns and give Charcoal a little kick. I follow Daddy and Bronco, while Mommy and Strawberry hold up the back.

We have the best day ever. They let me gallop through a field and on the woodland trails we see a herd of deer. 

We are about to head home when we stop at a brooke to let the horses drink some water.

I feel some raindrops on my head, but think nothing of it. Nothing can hurt me when I'm with Mommy and Daddy and the horses.

But the little raindrops soon come down harder, so much that I can't see.

"Mommy, Daddy, I'm scared." I cry out. But there is no answer. Water is rising up around my ankles. And then my knees.

I feel a horse nuzzle my shoulder. Charcoal. His saddle has somehow come undone so I push it off altogether. I use all of my might and hoist myself up on his back. Soon the water is up to his withers, but he is determined to keep me above water.

And he does. All night, I sit on his back, crying into his mane and calling out for my parents.

When the sun comes up the next day, the water has receded down to Charcoal's knees, and he finds the way home.

'Maybe Mommy and Daddy and Bronco and Strawberry made it back," I think. When we get to the house, I get off of Charcoal, and lead him up onto the porch, because there's no water there.

"Mommy! Daddy! I'm home!" I yell. No response.

For the next two days, I sit on the porch. I don't move, or eat, or drink, or sleep. Eventually someone comes. A police.

He told me there had been a flash flood, and although I was okay, my parents had died, along with their horses.

He called some people from town, who came down and held an auction for our horses. Even Charcoal.

A man and his 8 year old son bought Charcoal.

Before they left, I went up and said to the little boy, "This is my best friend. Please take good care of him and love him forever."

"I promise," the boy said.

Then I kissed my horse right the star on his head, and whispered, "I'll never forget you boy."

I handed the new owner my favorite lead rope, and told him to keep it so Charcoal wouldn't forget me. .

A social worker took me away from the ranch that day, and I never saw it again. Well, until now.