Chapter 17

"You look really good on him," I hear a familiar, husky voice say.

"Oh my gosh I'm sorry. I know he's your horse now. How long have you been watching?"

"I saw you take him over the jump. He must really like you because it's almost impossible to get him to jump," Carter states.

I dismount, and kiss Charcoal on his star. Then I walk over to Carter and Ezhno.

"I owe everything to that horse. If it weren't for him I wouldn't be alive," I murmur.

"Well that would really be a shame," Carter says, looking deeply into my eyes. I feel my heart beat faster, and I know that my cheeks are turning pink. I look away first.

"So, are you ready to go," I ask after a long, awkward silence.

"Yeah. Oh but I meant to ask you- do you want me to put Beau in the house, or even in one of the stalls?"

"You can put him in a stall," I say thoughtfully.

"I'll be right back. Let me. Just go get Chester," he says, scooping up Beau in his arms.

----------

"I know where there's this beautiful waterfall- it's sort of hidden near the end of the trail, but trust me, it's worth it."

We are starting down a very scenic trail. I let Carter and Chester ride a few paces ahead of Ezhno and I because I don't know where we are going, but I can tell Ezhno would much rather take the lead.

We break out of the trees and into a grassy field. I see a big oak tree about a quarter of a mile away.

"Race you to the oak tree," I yell out, before I pull Ezhno into a full blown gallop.

I almost pity Carter and Chester- they do not stand a chance against my wild horse. Ezhno could outrun Chester with a broken leg. Not that Chester is slow- it's just that Ezhno is much, much faster.

Ezhno and I clear the distance to the tree in almost no time at all. I turn my head and see that Carter is not too far behind you.

"Wow- that horse is fast," he says, a little out of breath.

"What can I say? He was born wild- my wild stallion," I coo, patting Ezhno's neck.

It felt good to call him mine. My stallion. My Ezhno.

And no one will ever take him away from me.