Chapter 36

The rain has disappeared almost as quickly as it appeared. Sunlight shines through the clouds, ever so slowly drying the land below it.

And it's time for me to go. Carter has given me a large bag full of things I can use to get by, like clothes, food, money, and a bareback pad.

Carter drove me down to the store, and bought me a disposable cell phone so I can contact him if I need to, without being traces.

I'll ride through the mountains to stay on high ground, instead of going through the forest like I did before.

I don't know where I'm going to go, but I know that I can't stay here. It's not safe for anyone involved.

I crouch down on the kitchen floor, and hug Beau to my chest. Tears roll down my cheek, and I bury my face in his fur. Beau turns around, and licks the tears from my face, causing me to laugh.

"Goodbye boy. Carter will take good care of you, and one day, maybe I'll see you again," I tearfully whisper.

Then I stand up, bag slung over my shoulder, and head out to the barn to take my horse. I start to clip my lead onto his halter, but Carter startles me causing me to drop it.

"Don't use that one. Take this lead- something to remember me by." He hands me a familiar looking lead rope, and I instantly recognize it as the one I handed him, ten years ago for Charcoal to remember me by.

"Carter," I whisper. "I could never forget you."

I clear the distance between us, and kiss him, which definitely startles him.

When I eventually pull away, I tearfully chuckle, "And that's something to remember me by."

A/N ok so I only think there will be one mor' chapter, and then maybe a sequel. Ooooh I have not been horseback riding since July, and I'm going to check out a barn on Friday, so hopefully that'll work out and I can start riding again =]

So what do you think of this chapter?

Goodnight my lovelies.