Chapter 20

"Come out it can't be that bad!"

"No. It's worse," I yell.

Carter has me wearing a huge, oversized ugly purple sweatshirt (why he has a purple sweatshirt, I don't know) along with his Mom's jeans, which are also too big, but just by a little.

"I look like a hobo!"

"I won't laugh."

"Ugh, fine!"

I exit the bathroom, and show Carter my hobo clothes.

"It's not that bad," he says.

"Shut up. You know I look like a hobo. So, when are my clothes going to be ready?"

"It will probably be an hour or so. Let's go get something to eat," he suggests, heading down the stairs. I follow him, my arms crossed over the hideous sweatshirt.

We enter a very well kept kitchen. It looks like something you would see in a magazine.

"Huh. Mom should have started dinner by now," he mumbles to himself.

I see a note on the refrigerator:

Carter,

Your father and I are going to that big auction in Texas. We won't be back for four or five days. I left fifty dollars for food, but you know how to cook so you should be ok. No guests, and especially no girls. Take care of the horses. Call us if you need anything.

Love,
Mom

"Does this explain anything," I ask, handing him the note. He looks it over.

"Oh I forgot about that," he mutters. Then, he looks up at me. "Is spaghetti okay with you?"

"Carter, I haven't eaten a hot meal in days. Spaghetti is fine," I reply, chuckling.

"Okay, good."

"Um.. Where's Beau?" I ask.

"You never got him out of the stall," Carter replies rolling his eyes.

"Ok I'm going to go get him. Which stall is he in?"

Carter looks at the pot of water he put on the stove before replying.

"I'll go with you. This shouldn't be boiling for a while, and you might as well meet the horses."