Chapter 37

"Good boy Ezhno," I coo, brushing him down with a curry comb. This will probably be the last time I groom him for a while, so I make sure to be very thorough.

After I've brushed him completely, I tentatively lift his front right hoof, and scrape the dirt and rocks out of it. I repeat the process with his other three hooves, and then give him am alfalfa cube, which he gratefully scarfs down.

I clip the lead on to his halter, and then sling it over his neck, so that it doesn't dangle.

"So, I guess this is it. Goodbye Taylor," Carter whispers.

"No, this isn't goodbye. I promise I'll be back one day. It might take a while, but I'll be back," I assure him.

I pull Carter into a hug, but he tilts his face down, and we end up kissing goodbye.

When I mount Ezhno, and start to ride away, I stop and look back.

"Bye Taylor."

"See you later Carter. Don't you forget about me. "

Then I look into the distance, and pull Ezhno into a full blown gallop. We head towards the mountains. Tears streak my face as I ride away, but a silly smile is plastered across my face.

I meant what I said. I will come back, one day. When it's safe.

And one day, I'll be riding this path again. But I'll be riding the other direction, towards Carter, and Beau.

Maybe, when I come back, I can talk to Carter's parents about my mom and dad. Maybe we can sit around telling stories, and I'll feel like I belong.

One day, far away.

But nevertheless, that day will come. And until then- well, I'll just have to manage.

As Ezhno and I ride away, I throw my arms out to the sides, spreading them like wings, and let out a rebel yell.

The road may be long and hard, but right now, in this moment I'm free.

And I'll never have to walk (or ride) alone.

A/N the end. There WILL be a sequel up within 24 hours. I don't know the name, but I have a few ideas. Btw, do you like the new cover? do you like the old one better?

I just read over the chapter and realized I have a lot of song references in here!!! I only meant to put one of them (Don't You Forget About Me from the Breakfast Club)

Goodnight my lovelies.
Comment the other ones that you find, if you can find them.