Chapter TWENTY-SIX

Chapter TWENTY-SIX

            Thick branches scratched from face, my arms and legs as I run through the forest. Most people would be panting right now, but me, I can't even feel my heart raising. Actually, it felt good to run like this. The sense of freedom after hours of feeling miserable was good enough to forget those hurtful memories for now. But I knew that this was just temporary happiness, so I need to use this opportunity to enjoy myself.

            That delicious scent was still calling me. Tempting me to go where it was. My stomach growled again and it made my legs pushed harder to get there. I didn't know why I was very eager, or why my hunger was too strong to control. When I was still a human, I could go for hours after missing a meal or just get a cup of coffee.

'Why do I feel like this-'

                Suddenly, I heard a rustling sound from the top of the trees. I didn't look and kept running. I didn't want to alarm the strangers, or maybe, the scent was just too powerful for me to stop. Their scents were familiar, but it wasn't the twins, Luke or Vladimir. It took me a minute to realize what they are.

'Vampires? What are they doing-'

           I remembered Vladimir telling me that he set up a lot of guards within the area. They surrounded the whole town and sent scouts to look for that Alpha. But I can't be too sure. They might be from a different coven, or they were sent by that perverted Alpha.

'If he sent them, why? Why does he need to go to this extent?'

Just before a hand touched me, I quickly averted my head to the side.

'That was close!'

               I lost my footing, and nearly missed a tree that was in front of me. I grabbed the tree for anchor and felt my chest was going to explode from the sudden movement. I quickly regained my balance by crouching down to calm myself. The adrenaline from that quick and unexpected attack was nerve-racking, but it felt awesome to be able to do that.

Knowing that I was just changed last night and can matched their speed was breathtaking. I felt empowered and it made me think that what would it be like after a few years.

              My moment of bliss was taken when I noticed shadows standing behind the trees. I straightened my back when I saw them slowly walking towards the moonlight. I didn't clutch my heart that felt like it was about to burst at any moment. I tried to act calm and in control in front of the strangers. I stayed still, waiting to see what they really are. I can't rely on my sense of smell, it's too early to be confident about my enhanced senses.

I widened my eyes at the number of silhouettes that were slowly walking. The moonlight just added an eerie effect when it's light illuminated their red eyes. I counted the emerging vampires and found out that escape was impossible.

Looking at 20 vampires with red eyes and menacing looks sent a shiver of fear through my spine. I thought about running again, because fighting them would be really impossible.

'Where is he?' I mentally slapped myself for thinking about him.

He promised that we will complete the blood ritual when I'm ready, but he forced himself on me. He even used telepathy to enter my Dad's mind just to get what he wants. I remind myself that I didn't need him. Even seeing him right now wasn't acceptable.

                 Eyes narrowed, I surveyed the vampires in front of me. Some of them are tall- even taller than Luke which is the tallest among the four. Others, smaller than the twins but all of them are physically fit and ready to attack. But I noticed that not all of them has black hair like mine and Vladimir. It must be just coincidence or maybe, because Vladimir is a direct descent. I stepped back when one of them stepped forward.