Because of You

Kibum didn't talk as much at work anymore, and he did his best to stay away from Jonghyun in the short time he had to spend there. They had little conversations on their lunch break and short conversations through text as well, but it was working, Kibum was forgetting. He honestly hadn't thought it possible, and he was proud of himself.

Until he began to feel the guilt, noting Jonghyun's gloomy state at work and how long it would take him to respond to Kibum's short texts. One day, he couldn't stand it anymore, and he stayed home from work, locking himself in his room while Jinki was at work.

Jonghyun: Are you sick?

Kibum hesitated to reply as he felt his heart jump like a school girl's would when her crush messages her. He decided against answering it, pushing his face into the pillow under his head as the phone vibrated again.

Jonghyun: If you don't reply soon I'm going to call you

He wanted to reply, to tell him he wasn't feeling well, but he was so afraid it would turn into a conversation where Kibum would find himself drooling over Jonghyun again. It took five minutes before Kibum's phone was ringing, he had turned on his ringtones just to hear the cheesy love song that he had set. Kibum let it ring until his phone finally said he had missed a call. Jonghyun called a couple more times, causing Kibum to sing along softly to the song, waiting for Jonghyun to give up. After, from what Kibum counted, ten calls Jonghyun had given up and left a voice mail.

After a few minutes of debating, Kibum listened to the voice mail.

"Kibum, are you alright? I texted Jinki about it and he said he thought you had gone to work. You better not be drinking, if I find out that's what you're doing I'll..." Jonghyun paused and Kibum chuckled, he sighed before continuing, "I'm just worried about you, please text me back at least. Your read receipts are on"

Kibum sighed, setting his phone down on the neighboring pillow, only picking it back up when his text tone went off.

Jonghyun: I'm going to get Taemin to check up on you

Another text tone made Kibum groan.

Jinki: Do I need to come home? Jonghyun is talking as if something is really wrong and I'm worried

Kibum started to text back, but he decided against it, not wanting Jonghyun to get mad at him. Kibum could hear the ring of the door bell, but he didn't have the will to answer it. He knew if they really wanted in that they would find the spare key, every one of his friends knew where it was. After another ring let out, Kibum heard the door being unlocked, disrupting his calming silence as the door opened and footsteps came to his door. The doorknob rattled and there was a sigh of frustration.

"Kibum, please open the door" Taemin called and Kibum rolled over.

"I'm fine, go back home" Kibum replied.

"Then why didn't you tell Jonghyun that?" Taemin asked and Kibum groaned.

There was a slight silence as Taemin reached for the key taped on the top of the door frame. Kibum cursed under his breath as Taemin unlocked his door and let themself in.

"Good, you're not drinking" Taemin said more to themself as they sat down on the bed facing Kibum, "So, are you sick or is something wrong?"

"It's nothing I can't handle" Kibum answered as Taemin felt his forehead.

"That's not what Jonghyun thinks, he's been asking everyone what he did to make you mad at him" Taemin told the older.

"He thinks I'm mad at him?" Kibum asked, feeling guilty.