Chapter Three

"Father, I'm sorry I danced with him," I lied. I looked at my father out of the corner of my eye and I saw how furious he was.

"Zaylin, do you have any idea how terrible it would be if he picked you for his wife?!" my father yelled.

I thought about it a second and suppressed the smile that was coming to my face. "I hadn't thought of that father," I answered truthfully. "I was dancing with him as a thank you."

"It sure looked like he had other intentions." my father ranted.

"Father, I'm sure he wasn't thinking of marrying me. Besides, what if he is the only man who I accept? At this rate, he just might be. The other Dukes are outrageously annoying." I rolled my eyes.

"You will not marry him!" my father roared.

I jumped at his sudden outburst. "Father, why exactly are we supposed to hate the Turner family so much?" I asked softy.

"Because it's in our blood to hate them, and that will never change."

I simply nodded while thinking, 'But that has already changed.'

I looked out at the moon and hoped that my father would go to bed soon.

Just my luck, he went to bed soon. I stayed up, looking out for any sign that Xavier was going to pay me a visit tonight. I was loosing hope that he was going to come tonight, and I looked away from the window. I was about to get up from the chair I was sitting on, when I heard a light rustling noise. I looked out the window and saw Xavier's shadowy figure. I opened the window's doors and walked onto the balcony quietly, my dress swishing as I walked.

"Is that you?" I called softly.

"Yes." I heard Xavier reply.

I smiled widely and looked to the side of the balcony at the vines that were growing up the side of the house. I started to climb down them. Towards the bottom, I felt hands on my waist, and I let go of the vines, knowing that Xavier had me. Once I was on the ground, he didn't let me go right away, in fact, his hands lingered on my waist for a moment. I turned around so that I could see him. I gave him a huge hug, as if I hadn't seen him in months instead of hours. I felt his head in my neck.

"I missed you at the ball," he mumbled into my skin.

I suppressed the shiver I had. "I'm sorry. My father wanted me away from you. He kept going on and on about the way we looked when we danced together."

"Mmm, I really enjoyed that dance."

"So, did I."

I felt him pull away from me. I looked at him, confused. He held out his hand to me. "Would you care to join me?"

"I would love to." I smiled and took his hand. We started to dance in the moonlight. We held each other close.

"You look beautiful in that dress, you know." he whispered while we were dancing.

I could feel the heat rising up to my cheeks, but I thought he couldn't see it.

"I love a woman who doesn't hide her face when she blushes," Xavier remarked.

"You say me blush?" I asked, blushing even more.

"Still do," he smiled gently.

"I guess it's a little too late to hide it now," I laughed lightly.

He smiled down at me and we continue to dance until it was time for me to get back in the house and go to bed.