Chapter Six

He did the unexpected, he kissed me. I didn't get the chance to kiss him back because it was a very short kiss. I smiled and I felt a blush creeping onto my cheeks. I waved him off and Xavier turned around and ran off to his house. I stood there, dumbstruck that my best friend- now fiance- kissed me twice willingly. I shook my head to clear it, then started towards the bridge. It didn't take me long to reach it at all.

I sat at the bridge and waited for Xavier, like I was told to do. I realized I still had a small smile on my face when he kissed me. I heard the sound of a horse's hooves running towards me, so I stood up and looked at the approaching horse. It stopped when it was right in front of me and Xavier hopped off of the horse's back.

"Are you ready to have a day to ourselves?" Xavier asked, grinning.

"I can't wait," I smiled brightly and walked towards him so I can get on the horse.

Xavier's hands went around my waist before he gently lifted me up onto the horse, I got comfortable and then Xavier got on himself. He grabbed the reins and I leaned back into him a little. I felt safe in his arms and I knew he'd never let anything bad happen to me. We rode to the town very quickly and I was a little disappointed the ride couldn't last longer. I wanted to stay in Xavier's embrace for as long as possible.

Xavier handed me the reins then he jumped down. He gently took the reins from me then he helped me off the horse. He tied it up right outside a jewelry store. I tilted my head slightly, curious as t what we were doing here.

"Zaylin, we are here to pick out your ring. I want everyone to know that you are taken by me."

"Oh." I blushed from comment. I felt Xavier's lips on my cheek, then he guided me inside the store.

I looked at all of the rings that are available and one ring caught my eye. It had a silver band with a small turquoise stone in the middle of the band. I walked over to it to see the price and saw that I was rather expensive. I turned away from it to look at the other rings and found a ring that I liked and that was reasonably priced. I would keep glancing at the ring with the turquoise stone repeatedly.

"I like this ring," I told Xavier as I looked back at the simple gold ring.

"Okay, can you wait by the horse so I can pay for it? It is your engagement ring and you are supposed to be surprised." Xavier said while he walked me to the door.

I laughed and walked out of the store for Xavier. I found his horse and started to pet it's mane. I saw another horse coming closer to me, but I couldn't get a look at the rider just yet. When I could, I wished that I could disappear. The horse stopped right beside me and the rider jumped to the ground. The rider walked swiftly towards me. I stood my ground, knowing that anytime soon Xavier would be here.

"Zaylin, I just heard from your father that you claim to be engaged to someone else. Is that true?" Gareth asked, coming even closer to me. He wrapped his arm around me and dragged my body towards his.

"Yes, and I had accepted his proposal before my father arranged for us to be married." I said, trying to pull out of his grip.

"You are mine. There is no possible way that someone proposed marriage to you before your father set us up." Gareth had anger in his eyes and that frightened me. I didn't know what he was like when he lost his temper.

"I am not yours. My father set us up and it was a mistake." I said as calmly as I could manage.

"No it wasn't! I am your fiance, no one else!"

I was terrified now. I tried to get out of his iron-like grip, but to no avail. I heard the jewelry store's door open and Xavier walked out.

"Gareth, let Zaylin go." Xavier said, coming to my rescue.

"Who do you think you are Xavier? Telling me what to do."

"I'll ask you once more. Put my fiance down." Xavier looked calm and composed, but in his eyes I saw restrained anger.

"Fiance?! You must be crazy!" Gareth laughed but it wasn't one of humor.

"Gareth, he is my fiance. Please let me go," I whimpered, his arm hurting me.

He looked between me and Xavier, disbelief and shock in his eyes. His grip relaxed and I was able to get free. I hurried over to Xavier's side and held onto his waist. He wrapped his arms around mine and held my close to him gently. Gareth walked back towards his horse and rode away. Xavier and I looked at his retreating form until we couldn't see him anymore. Xavier finally looked down at me and he softly brushed his lips against mine. I smiled into the kiss.

"Zaylin, I want to propose to you again with the ring. I want you to answer honestly as well, if you don't mind."

I nodded and he walked with me to a secluded area and pulled out a velvet box from his pocket. Xavier got down on one knee.

"Zaylin Marie Silva, will you marry me and make me the happiest man alive?"

I didn't hesitate when I answered, "Yes."

Xavier smiled widely and opened the velvet box to reveal the silver ring with the turquoise stone that I wanted. He stood up and slipped the ring on my left ring finger.

"Xavier," I smiled, "this ring was outrageously expensive."

"Zaylin, it really didn't cost me that much. And I'd give you anything you wanted, no matter the cost, if it made you happy."

I did what any normal woman would do upon hearing those words, I jumped into his arms and hugged him.

I felt and heard Xavier's chuckle. I eventually let him go and said, "Should we spend the rest of the day here?"

"If you would like to love."

I enjoyed hearing Xavier call me love. It made me feel special in his eyes, like I was the only woman he thought about. I couldn't stop smiling as I took Xavier's hand and started to head back to the town's shops. We looked around at all the shops and spent the whole day in the town, being able to be together without questions, looks, or remarks.