Chapter Twenty-Seven

I ate and let my mind wander to my unborn child. I knew that I would do anything to keep it safe.Gareth came down into the cellar sometime later. "My beautiful Zaylin," Gareth called out, causing me to shiver in disgust, "it is a shame you won't do anything illegal. I could show you everything that Turner couldn't. For now, I want you to dance with me. Once you get dressed in one of your new dresses that is."

I couldn't show how much I didn't want to dance with him. I simply took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Of course Gareth, anything to keep you happy."

He smiled and handed me the dresses he had. I took them and made sure that Gareth left before I changed.

I waited for Gareth to return once I was dressed again. He showed up and led me upstairs into a ballroom. He held me alarmingly close to him, and I hoped he wasn't squishing the baby. I wiggled in arms, trying to create some space between us, but when I did he pulled me just a little bit closer.

I held back the tears that came to my eyes, worrying about the health of my baby. I blinked my eyes to keep the tears from falling. I danced with Gareth, my mind on my stomach and on the first time I had danced with him. The Duke of Halestead tried to kiss me without my permission the first time we danced, and I feared he would do it again. I didn't have Xavier to save me this time. The tears blurred my vision even more as we spun around the room. I tried to imagine that Gareth was Xavier, but I just couldn't when Gareth was forcing me to move across the floor. Xavier was always gentle and sweet, while Gareth liked to be harsh and cruel. We stopped twirling finally, and I quickly backed away from him.

The Duke of Halestead's face was contorted by rage. He stalked towards me, eyes shooting daggers at me. I knew running would make the punishment worse, so I stayed put even as every fiber in my being screamed for me to run. I hadn't been abused in a while, and I forgot what the sharp sting of a slap felt like- until Gareth struck me.

"Never walk out of my arms before I dismiss you." he growled. He was so angry he could hardly form words correctly.

"Of course, Gareth, I will not make that mistake again." I apologized.

My cheek felt like it was set on fire, and I tasted blood in my mouth. I knew it was bruising as I stood there, waiting to be dismissed.

"I don't want to see you. Go back to the cellar!"

I made my retreat as soon as he finished yelling at me. The tears that had been trying to fall were no longer held back. I didn't make a sound as tears cascaded down my cheeks. I knew I looked like a mess, but I didn't care who saw me crying a waterfall at the moment. I desperately wanted the comfort Xavier could provide, but knew I wouldn't get it. I curled up on my cot and cried myself to sleep, alone.