Chapter Thirty-One

I gasped and every breath I took burned my throat. I felt tears come to my eyes. I had never been so scared before. I couldn't make him let go and that had never happened until today.

I composed myself before walking inside and shutting the door. I ran my hand over the skirt of my dress to make it more presentable. I walked into Amethyst's nursery slowly, thinking of what I would say.

As soon as Violet saw me, she questioned, "Did you expect your father to come here?"

I shook my head while answering, "It was a surprise to both of us." My voice was a little off, but I didn't think Violet would pick up on that. I had my hair hide as much of the marks on my neck as possible. I kept to myself the rest of the day, staying in Amethyst's nursery most if the time.

The boys returned home and immediately went to take a shower. I was rocking Amethyst to sleep when Xavier walked in her room. Amy looked at Xavier and giggled softly, her eyes starting to droop.

Xavier walked quietly towards me and he kissed my cheek. I smiled up at him briefly, worried if my neck had started to bruise. Xavier noticed before I did that Amy was sound asleep, so he carefully took her from my arms and set her in her crib. Xavier then turned to me, took my hands and pulled me up from the rocking chair. He held me in his arms and I rested my head against his warm, solid chest. I inhaled his musky sent. I looked into Xavier's kind, emerald green eyes and the events that happened today came pouring out.

"My father visited today. I don't know how he found out where we live, but he came and saw how pregnant I am. He said he would take me back home, that my mistake was forgiven. He dared to state that he'd let me keep my baby. I told him that I didn't make a mistake, that I was an adult. He gripped my throat then and started to suffocate me." It all came out in a rush, and I didn't know if Xavier was able to make out a single word.

Xavier's face went from happy to extremely calm. "He came here? He said he was going to take you back, but only if you left me? Well, from now on, Violet is to never leave your side. You need to be kept safe and away from your father."

I held onto Xavier tighter, scared that I'd break down if I let go. Xavier gently lifted my head up and he examined my neck, seeing the bright bluish-purple handprint. Xavier had seen many bruises on me before, but he seemed more upset over this one than the others.

"Maybe I should stay home and protect you," Xavier whispered.

"I should be fine, he said he was coming back, but that could be a while from now." I reasoned. "I want you here all the time, but I don't want you to worry so much over me."

"How can I not? You are my wife who has been through hell and back. And now you keep going through hell. At least Gareth is in jail, but your father isn't. He is the one we should really worry about."

I kissed him just so that he wouldn't have a worried look on his face anymore. "I love you."

"I love you too." He put his hands on my stomach and bent down to kiss it. "I love you as well, baby."

I couldn't help but giggle at Xavier. He was acting so adorably about this baby. I focused mainly on Xavier and the things that needed to be done in the house. I couldn't bear to think of my mother and her death again.