Chapter 4

Two weeks after the sudden announcement of Papyrus' death

"We are gathered here today to honor the life of Papyrus Gwarchod. A loving husband to Anita Lancaster and a loving father to Ella Lancaster. May we share a brief moment of silence to remember the good times everyone here had with Papyrus," said the priest as he recited Papa Papyrus' obituary. It had been two weeks since Mama Anita told me of his death. He was shot by an unknown attacker when he was preparing to leave Paris.

"Now Ms. Anita Lancaster will say a few words about Mr. Papyrus Gwarchod," stated the priest. Mama Anita, her face covered by a lacy black veil, walked up to the podium that the priest was standing on. The funeral took place outside at the Lone Hero Cemetery. Chill and crisp November wind howled as the funeral was in progress. Papa Papyrus' closed casket was in front of the podium, its wooden exterior craved with Celtic symbols, in honor of his Celtic ancestry.

"Hello everyone. For friends of Papy- I mean Papyrus who don't know me, I'm Anita Lancaster, wife of the late Papyrus Gwarchod," Mama Anita started her speech, accidentally referring to Papa Papyrus by her nickname for him. I bit my tongue to hold back the tears. My funeral attire, a plain black dress and black flats, reflected my mood. I hid my face behind a black veil, like Mama Anita did, afraid to show my face.

"-I remember when I first met Papyrus. During my 3rd college semester abroad in Oslo, Norway. In that quiet little coffee shop, where I spilled coffee on him. My Papy...my sweet sweet Papy...WHY?!" Mama Anita's speech was interrupted by her sudden wail. She broke down and some of Papa Papyrus' friends helped her up. I immediately recognized the four of them. Mr. Richard, Mr. Tory, and Mr. Jim, work friends of Papa Papyrus. All three of them were nice to me and I've known them since birth. The other man was Mr. Fred, Papa Papyrus' childhood friend from Brooklyn.

"Anita, hon, he's in a better place. Papyrus was a good man and will always be remembered. Anita, he's watching over you and little miss Ella. The pain is temporary, Anita," I overheard the four men say to Mama Anita, trying to comfort her. The rest of the funeral attendees, friends of Papa Papyrus and Mama Anita, were silent with grief. Abuelo Bernardo and Abuela Maria, my grandparents and Mama Anita's parents, would of came for the funeral, but they lived in Peru with the rest of Mama Anita's family.

"Since Ms. Anita Lancaster is unable to continue, Ms. Ella Lancaster will finish it up if she's okay with it," stated the priest. Fumbling with my pink diamond necklace, I walked up to the podium and stood on it. The attendees looked at me, waiting for me to say something about Papa Papyrus.

"Papa...he was an amazing and brave man. He was the one who took me in when I was abandoned as a baby. Papa may haven't been there for me all the time, but when he was...it was the best. He's the reason I'm alive...I'm forever grateful for Papa's kindness. I...I just wish...that...that he was also alive today..." I said to the crowd softly, holding back the urge to sob. I couldn't cry, not in front of all those people. I had to be strong, for Mama Anita.

"Thank you Ms. Ella Lancaster. Now the burial will commence," said the priest. On cue, two huge and bulgy men from the Lone Hero Cemetery picked up the casket. They walked over to a large hole, big enough to fit Papa Papyrus' casket in. Behind the hole, was a tombstone. It read, 'Papyrus Gwarchod 1972-2016 Loving father and husband.' With cautious and ease, the men placed the casket into the found. They then began placing dirt over it and soon, the casket was covered with dirt. Papa Papyrus was finally buried.

     "The funeral is now over. Godspeed to all of you," the priest said before walking away with the cemetery workers. The attendees began to leave one by one and I walked over to Mama Anita. The only one left with her was Mr. Fred, both talking about something in shush voices.

     "-Now?! At this time?! Fredrick, this must be a prank?!" Mama Anita whispered to Mr. Fred in an angered tone. He responded in the same voice, "I'm sorry, Anita, but it isn't! Papyrus-"

     "-He's dead, Fredrick! He broke his promise, so I'll brake mine!"

     "Anita, you can't! She's needed now! Papyrus-"

     "-Papyrus is gone! I'm not gonna lose her too!"

     "What are you two talking about?" I asked confusedly, a bit surprised that they didn't notice me. Mama Anita and Mr. Fred looked up at me before exchanging a worried glance between each other. Before I could ask anything else, Mama Anita beat me to the punch.

      "Your papa wanted to send you to a private academy back in Canada. I was talking to Mr. Fred about it," stated Mama Anita. She was biting her bottom lip, signaling that she was lying to me. I then decided to play along.

     "Oh...ok." I mumbled. Mama Anita got up and hugged me tightly. When we finished our hug, Mama Anita then asked, "Would you like some chili for dinner? You have school tomorrow."

     "Sure...but I'm gonna stay here for a bit...to pay my respects..." I quietly answered. She silently nodded and kissed the top of my head. Mama Anita looked at Mr. Fred and he sighed before walking back to his car. She glanced back at me before beginning to walk towards the next street. We didn't take the car to the funeral since the Lone Hero Cemetery was close to our home. I then walked up to Papa Papyrus' grave

"Papa, you idiot...you made Mama and me cry..." I quietly said, a few tears escaping from my eyes. Everything around me was silent, the howling wind dying down. The silence was unbearable. I suddenly bursted into tears, not being able to contain them anymore. My sweet and kind Papa was dead.