Chapter 14

We walked back to the dining room area to see everyone eating dinner. They all stopped eating once Brenin and I made our presence known to them. Queen Lucinda, who was sitting in the grand chair, smiled at us and exclaimed, "There you two are! Come now, you two must feast with us!"

"It's ok I'm not- We would love to!" Brenin interrupted me by roughing elbowing me in my left side. I let out a silent 'oof!' and glared at him. Brenin, merely smiling, whispered to me, "It's rude and impolite to disrespect the queen. Her word is law."

I rolled my eyes and we sat down in two empty seats, which were sadly across from each other. The guests and Queen Lucinda resumed eating while Brenin and I sat in silence. Suddenly in the corner of my eye, I noticed a familiar pair of fraternal twins in servant uniforms. It was Cassidy and Cameron.

"Excuse Queen Lucinda, is it alright if I talk to some of the staff? I would like to get to know them," I asked, lying through my teeth. Brenin eyed me suspiciously while the queen beamed with joy. Queen Lucinda then exclaimed, "What a kind thing to do! You may introduce yourself to them after dinner! See, Brenin! She has the mannerisms of a princess!"

Brenin, on the other hand, was too busy flirting to the person who was sitting next to him, a young fairy girl. She had bright bubblegum pink hair in twin braids, pale skin, freckles across her cheeks, and lavender eyes. The girl wore a puffy pink ballgown, had pointy ears, and bright pink fairy wings.

"Oh Malisse~! You're so charming~!" Brenin said with a sigh. I suddenly felt a ping of annoyance, along with...jealous? No, it was just one of Brenin's stupid tests. The overly-pink fairy girl, Malisse, then giggled obnoxiously, "Oh Brenie~! Thank you~! You're so charming and sweet~!"

I loudly cleared my throat, annoyed with their stupid flirting. Malisse and Brenin looked at me confusedly and Malisse asked, "What's your problem?"

"Your obnoxious flirting. It's sickening," I bluntly stated. Malisse scoffed in disbelief while Brenin had a sky unnoticeable smirk on his pretty boy face. Before things could escalate, Queen Lucinda announced, "Dinner is now over! May all guests proceed to the ballroom!"

Everyone got up and began walking out of the dining room. Once the last guest left the room, I ran over to Cassidy and Cameron, nearly tripping over my dress. The two of them were whispering upon each other.

     "Cassidy, Cameron?! What are you two doing here?!" I whispered-yelled at the twins. They turned and her faces had huge grins. Cassidy then answered, "We work here as part of the royal staff."

    "Uh...do you two have school?" I asked confusedly. Cameron then answered, "From early morning after breakfast to noon, Father teaches us. After that we have lunch, then we search for trinkets in the Great Forest for a couple hours. Then we take a hour walk from our village in the outskirts of Cathrach to the palace and work until midnight."

"Ok...but I need your help," I stated with a hint of frantic in my tone. The twins looked at me and asked in unison, "And what will that be, princess?"

"Please just call me Ella. I need to get back to the human world as soon as possible. Meet me in my room after the ball," I answered. The twins looked confused, but nodded their heads. I then ran out of the dining room and to a large double door that was guarded by guards. They bowed when they saw me.

"Excuse me~? Is this the ballroom~?" I asked in an overly sweeten fake voice. The guards blushed slightly and nodded before opening the doors for me. Inside, fairies were dancing to the sound of a beautiful orchestra. I walked in and saw Brenin dancing with Malisse. Angry suddenly boiled in my core as I sashed up to a lonely fairy boy. I then said to him, "Good evening."