Chapter 5

"Ella, honey, you're home now," stated Mama Anita softly. She was sitting at the table, drinking a cup of coffee. At least I hope it was coffee, it kinda looked like whiskey. I recently came back from the Lone Hero Cemetery. With red puffy eyes, I looked at my mama. Her eyes were in the same condition as mine. She looked at me and beckoned me to sit down at the table. I did as she wanted and waited.

     "I've got a job offer," Mama Anita stated bluntly. I looked at her with sudden hope in my eyes. At least, we weren't gonna lose our home. She sadly smiled before continuing her announcement.

     "I have gotten a job as a kindergarten teacher...but it's in Wisconsin," said Mama Anita. My eyes widen in shock and my jaw dropped to the floor. Wisconsin?! We're moving?!

     "I start work next Monday. You will be staying at your school's dorms until I have enough money to rent an apartment and get you to Wisconsin," Mama Anita continued.  Anger boiled inside of me. I suddenly sprinted upstairs. I heard Mama Anita yell, "ELLA!"

     With tears streaming down my cheeks, I ran into my room and slammed the door behind me. I turned around and locked the door. Then I began to sob more. First Papa Papyrus' death, now this?! I don't want lose my childhood home and Cora!!!

     "That's it, I'm running away to Cora's place!" I whispered to myself. Maybe that would snap Mama Anita to her senses! After changing into a red sweater and jeans, I opened up my small closet and pulled out a gray stylish backpack. Stuffing it with essentials, I packed the backpack up.

     "I'm not gonna leave without a piece of them..." I whispered. I then picked up a locket from my vanity. Inside of it, was a family picture of Papa Papyrus, Mama Anita, and a younger version of myself. Papa Papyrus' light brown hair was neat and trimmed, his vibrant green eyes sparkling with joy, like Mama Anita and I were. His pale skin glimmered with health and life. Sighing, I hooked the locket around my neck, along with my pink diamond necklace.

     "Dang it! Where's my hairbrush?!" I yelled to no one in particular. I got down to the floor and searched the floor. While looking under my dresser, I saw a loose floor board. I got up and pushed my dresser into a new location. Upon closer examination, I saw something under the loose floor board.

     "Weird..." I mumbled to myself as I got down on all fours. Carefully trying not to get lots of splinters, I removed the floor board. Under it, was a light green medium-sized box. I picked up the box with curiosity. Opening the box, I carefully examined its contents. There was a diamond-encrusted hand mirror and a worn out leather-back journal.

      "What the?" I mumbled as I picked up the mirror. It was beautiful and probably very fragile. I carefully placed it next to me and examined the journal. It was very old, maybe at least fifty years ago. Before I could open it, I heard someone banging against the door.

     "Ella! Ella! Ella, come out of your room this instant!" Mama Anita's muffled voice yelled from the other side. I gulped and looked at the mirror. Maybe I could sell it for a lot of money.

     "ELLA!!!!!" Mama Anita screamed in annoyance. I grunted and blindly picked up the mirror. What I didn't know was I picked it up by the glass. A tornado of gold and pink sparks suddenly formed around me. My bedroom door was also suddenly kicked down by Mama Anita.

     "NO ELLA!!!" she screamed as the tornado began to incase me. I began panicking and tried to escape, but I couldn't. Suddenly the tornado exploded and knocked me unconscious.