Chapter 23: I've Never Been Flying.

Hannah.

It's been about a week now since Austin and I had our heart to heart conversation about his mother, and I felt like things weren't as awkward as they were the night leaving the party.

He didn't ask me to move out, which was good, but he also doesn't talk to me as much at home anymore compared to how much he does at school. Maybe he's sick of me after school, knowing we sleep and eat and wake up in the same house everyday.

Austin's been hiding in his room a lot too, and that's so unusual, so I've been forced to either sit in my room as well, or sit out in the living room and make sexual innuendo conversations with his dad.

What do I do? Stay? Go back home and beg for forever forgiveness and enslave myself to my grandmother? The questions were endless in my head and I blame myself completely for the conversation Austin and I had nights ago. Shouldn't things like that blow over between people at some point? Well when is some point?!

I parked my car in the driveway and noticed Austin wasn't home yet. Where is that Giraffe boy? I wondered as i took out my cult books to do my homework and went inside.

The house was quiet and even Daddy Carlile wasn't anywhere to be found. Where is everyone? I dropped my things in my room as always and trotted off to the kitchen, throwing my hair in a sloppy bun at the too of my head as I did so, and browsed around for some food.

I settled on my fruit salad leftovers I made last night and plopped myself on the kitchen table, looking out the sliding glass door to the back yard, and trying to relax.

When my fruit was finished and my hot tea was made, I was spooked from my relaxing backyard scene by the front door banging against the wall as whoever slammed it open.

"Hannah!" The voice called and it sounded more like a mutant squawking bird than a real person. Who the fuck? I turned and debated whether or not to hide under the table, or to take my tea and wait till the mutant got close enough for me to toss it in their face. "Hannah!" They called again and then more footsteps behind them came in too.

I heard the front door shut and my bum seemed to be stuck to the chair, frozen with indecisiveness. Who is that? "Yea?" I ended up calling, and took a small sip from my hot cup, just in case..

I looked over and waited for the Squawker to show himself as Daddy Carlile stepped into the living room, grinning. "She's in here!" He came over into the kitchen and went straight to the fridge and started taking out eggs and butter, and then into the cabinet for more I ingredients, like he was making a cake.

I must've looked confused because Daddy Carlile chuckled and then Austin bounded into the living room from which his dad was previously standing and beamed at me. What's got him so hyper? I crossed my legs under the table and clutched onto my cup, in fear that my nerves would show through shaky hands. They're kicking me out, and this is my going away party. That's it! They've figured out to do it!

"Guess what?!" He shouted and ran over, which to me looked like just five giant steps, and sat in his own chair across from me.

Here it comes Hannah.. Just be brave, put on a brave face. I swallowed down more tea and shrugged with my face in my cup.

He laughed and his dad joined in behind me. "We got signed!" He announced and smacked the table with his huge hands.

I sputtered on my tea and I gracefully spit it everywhere. "You what?" I wiped my mouth with the bottom of my shirt and I could suddenly smell the unbanked aroma of cake mix behind me. They're not kicking me out!