Chapter 39

I always hated hospitals, the creepy smell and the beeping alarms. I got so stressed out and felt nervous so I tried to avoid it at all cost but leaving my brother in the hospital wasn't something that would ever make me think twice.

"Miss Diao?" A nurse murmured, waking me from my zombie state. 

"Yeah, that's me." I nodded, rising up from the seat I had taken in the waiting hall of this enormous hospital. Without saying anything more she led me to what I assumed was my brother's room and left me there without a word, just a weak smile.

Stepping in to the room didn't make me calmer. Tony was living thanks to the tubes going under his skin and up his nose along with something squeezing his finger. I sat down on the only chair next to the bed, taking my brother's hand in mine.

"It'll be alright." I whispered. "It will all be alright." I was interrupted by a door opening, making my eyes turn from my lifeless brother to a doctor standing in the door. The deep blue eyes stared straight in to mine, making me feel a bit uncomfortable.

"Ruby, I assume?" He asked, his voice very determined. 

"Correct." I confirmed. 

"Your brother has over dozed." His simple sentence just turned my world around and I don't even think he understands that himself.

"Excuse me?" I coughed.

"Your brother has over dozed." He repeated. "We need him to stay here for a couple of days until he is fine again and then he can go home. Do you have any idea what could have made him want to kill himself?" The doctor wondered. Who did he think he was, trying to make me think Tony tried to kill himself?

"My brother did not want to kill himself." I almost choked on the sentence, the words made me feel odd and I really didn't like saying them.

"We do not know that for sure but it's almost impossible that he unintentionally swallowed a whole can of sleeping pills along with alcohol." He muttered, walking out of the door. I was left with my brother again, just like I wanted it to be. We didn't need bitchy doctors and tubes going inside the body. We just needed each other, it's always been him and me.

I sat in silence for a long while, just thinking. If Tony had digested those things, why? He did seem a bit weird when he first came here but he told me he was fine. He would tell me if something happened that would make him want to kill himself. He would. He had so much to live for. He had such a fun job, friends and family that loved him, Kayla for Christ sake. Oh gosh, I need to call Kayla.

"Kayla Brandon." Her soft voice spoke in to the speaker as she answered the call.

"Hi Kayla, it's Ruby." I tried to hold the tears in. 

"Oh, Ruby! So lovely to hear from you again, how are you?" She wondered, always so polite. 

"Not so good, Kayla. Where are you?" I just need to get her here as soon as possible.

"Just at home, why? What's going on, Ruby? Why are you crying?" She bombarded me with questions as the tears fell down my cheeks, smudging my mascara but I couldn't care less. I stepped out of the room, feeling like I didn't want to cry next to Tony even though he was unconscious and didn't notice. 

"It's Tony." I murmured, choking on the tears.

"What about him?" Her voice changed quickly, going from worried to almost annoyed. I didn't need this. If they argued and she refused to come here I would have no idea what to do with myself.

"They said he tried to kill himself." I whispered, still scared to speak the feared words. 

"Are you at a hospital?" She snapped. 

"Yes." I replied.

"Message me the address, I'm leaving now." And with that she hung up, leaving me crying outside my brother's hospital room with an almost dead phone. I messaged her the address quickly before letting Naomi know I was fine. I had to call her back after the eighteen missed calls I got whilst in the ambulance, telling her dinner was cancelled. I didn't tell her what happened, I wasn't sure I wanted to either. 

I stepped in to the room again, still taken aback by the smell which I just hated even more when I saw my brother lying there, knowing he would nag about it too if he could.

It feels so surreal, seeing him there. He was always my rock, the one I could rely on and support myself against. He was my big brother and he took it very seriously in his mission to take care of me, never getting me in trouble and when I got myself there he would save me. He was the best brother in the world, doing me only good. I wasn't fare to him when we were younger, I never stood up for him the way he did for me. He was so wonderful, he still is, and he could have been gone right know if Naomi hadn't agreed to nine to five instead of nine to six. 

It's crazy how small things can change so much. What if I had lived with Ariel right now? She never allowed anyone to stay with us in our house. I always had to go over to Naomi's or Grace's house if we were having a sleepover and the same with Ariel. She was so bossy now that I think of it. Tony would probably had to stay in a cheap motel for the night and died there, just like that. 

I still had a rough time getting over the fact that he probably tried to kill himself. It wasn't like him. It was probably not like anyone but especially not him, not my brother, my sunshine. 

"Hello, miss." I was taken away from my thought by a kind, soft voice speaking to me from the entrance of the door. I lifted my tired self of the chair and walked over to her, shaking her hand which she had kindly reached out. "I'm Dr. Granger." She smiled.

"Ruby." I tired to pull my lips up but I was too tired to move anything except my legs back to the chair.

"He is going to be fine, I promise you." She assured me which made me calmer. She wasn't like the old man, she was kind and gentle with her words. "His heart is beating normally and he is breathing okay by him self. He is really strong, he will survive this without a struggle." She smiled.

"I'm glad to hear that." I confessed.

"You should be getting some sleep, I'll be leaving." Dr. Granger smiled just as politely and left the room, causing complete silence to soften my ears up. I lied my head down on my brother's bed, closing my eyes and without hesitation I fell asleep.