|25| escape (part 2)

All we can here is the muffled yelling through the closed elevator door. We ascend slowly.
I can only imagine what might be happening in the gym right now while the Capitol Alliance charges West, Will, and Kennedy. I can only wonder if they will succeed. The consequences if they don't, will be horrible.

As we get higher up, the yelling becomes barely audible. But I know it's still there. It hurts me to know that those people are risking their lives against West and his wolf mutation army to help us get out. I hope West doesn't use the mutts on them. After all I told the Alliance not to kill the mutts because they are people who hate West as much as them but are just being controlled. I know that if they kill West and his commanders the mutts won't be a threat.

We come to a soft stop on one of the higher floors and a ding sounds as the door slides open. I walk back a little to stand beside Peeta. Willow is hugging him as he holds her. She's as scared as ever. Her eyes are squeezed shut.
Luckily Rye hasn't woken up yet. I don't want him knowing what's going on. I don't want him scared.

As the door finishes opening, Johanna pushes Selena out of the way and jogs out of the elevator into the dimly lit room. I spot a changing table and some doors to other nursery rooms.

I grab Peeta's hand and he accepts pulling me closer.
"I'm sure everything is going as planned down there." He tells me, probably knowing what's been going through my head. I turn to look him in the eyes. I can still see a fleck of terror in them. He must be reminded of so many horrible things right now and during our stay. I can't even imagine being him in the situation he's in and what he has been through. I will never understand how he gets through it.

"I sure hope so." I answer as Johanna and Selena turn a corner in the room and disappear out of sight.
"I don't know how we would be able to escape without the Capitol Alliance. I almost feel bad for leaving them to fight on their own." I say still staring at his gorgeous blue eyes. I hear a door open and figure that Selena and Johanna are going inside one of the rooms to get Asher.

Peeta squeezes my hand.
"Now you know that's not reasonable. They are doing this to help us escape and be safe. To kill West and save Panem. You being down their with them would ruin the purpose of why they are doing it." He explains. I realize he is right. The least we can do is be grateful. They deserve it.

Peeta and I stand their, eyes locked. Our hands still entwined. It registers that we have been separated for almost weeks.

"I really missed you." I tell him.

"I missed you terribly." Peeta responds.

I smile.
"I love you." I say. He smiles back.

"I love you too." Then our lips connect and electricity runs through my veins like the kiss on the beach back in the Quarter Quell. We kiss. And it reminds me that much more of how much I've missed Peeta.

Johanna and Selena walk back in the elevator. The only way I can tell is by the sound of foot steps. Peeta, not wanting to let go, pulls me into a hug after we part, and I accept. It's not until the elevator doors slides shut, that we stand side by side again. I look him longingly in the eyes and I see the same feeling in his.

We slowly ascend in the elevator again. Luckily Rye still sleeps soundly.

"You two finally done?" Johanna asks whispering. Asher sleeps in her arms.