|4| torture gym

Peeta and I made our way into the elevator in the mansion.
We climbed through a small trap door on the roof that was made for maintenance. It lead into the elevator shaft. Then, from there Peeta and I got into the elevator's carriage by going through the emergency exit on top.

"We have to do this quick before the cameras spot us." Peeta says when he lands on the elevator floor where I already stand. He steadies himself and leans against the closed elevator door, pulling out the folded map from his back pocket.

"Speaking of," I mumble to myself as I knock out a camera in the corner of the elevator. It tumbles to the floor where I stomp on it once, and it crunches into hundreds of pieces.

"We are.... Hmm" Peeta starts trying to figure out the map. I stand beside him examining the map. The mansion is huge.

I look at the top and find where the elevator shaft is.
"It looks like we're right here, on the top floor, in the elevator. Do you remember what floor the torture gym is on?" I say pointing towards the top of the map.

"Um... Well I got an ID number when I came. It said something like, Peeta Mellark, cell 7. I don't remember the exact stuff it said but I do remember the numbers 19 and 41 on it." He replies.

"19." I say to myself.

"What?"

"19. It's the floor number. It has to be." I say scanning the map again. There isn't a a floor 41, nonetheless a floor past the number 30. I really hope 19 is the floor number. If it isn't we're going to have to stop on every floor.

I quickly press the number 19 on the elevator and we slowly drift downwards.

"I don't know Katniss. Should we really be going strait to the torture floor. There may be guards." He says clearly getting flashbacks.

"I guess we can only hope there aren't guards. We just have to sneak around and see if these mutations are real. Then come back as soon as possible and fly back with Pollux. It will all be ok. This will work. It has to." I say getting even more nervous as the we come to a soft stop.

Peeta winces and I know he is getting more severe flashbacks from this elevator and what lies behind that elevator door. If it's behind this door. There is a 50% chance that we have the wrong floor.

"We can do this." I encourage, hoping on hope it's true. Then without a second thought, the doors start to slide open with a ding that will of caught the attention of anyone on the other side.

When they are all the way open, the first thing I notice is how empty it is. No one is in sight and the large room is quiet. We both step into the space at the same time, giving the elevator enough room to close its door behind us.

"This is it." Peeta murmurs shaking. His voice wavers as he speaks. I can hear the pain in it. I grab his hand and it tears me apart seeing Peeta this terrorized.

We are standing in the torture gym.

As I gaze around the spacious rectangular gym. Surprisingly, I can see a few people to the far right standing near to the right wall. The gym is so big that I doubt that the people heard the ding sounding from the elevator or the sound of Peeta and I stepping out.
I can barely hear the people talking and it's hard to see them because a row of bared cells, which are the only cells in the gym, are lined across the middle of the room separating the two sides of the gym. There is a small space in between two of the cells in the middle of the line that is most likely there so that people can walk through to the other side.

Numerous desks and tables are scattered throughout the space on this side of the gym. Some have wheels and others don't. Some have stuff on them, others don't.