Chapter 1: Party Time

"Alright Edmonds you're up! Go hit it out the park!" Coach says hitting my back.

I jog out to the home base and notice that the bases are loaded. I stare at the pitcher with fire in my eyes as he grins. Of course the pitcher would be the infamous Michael Braxton from our rival high school. I don't like to use the word hate but for him I'll make an exception.

Michael throws a strike right down the middle and grins at me. The second pitch is a ball. The next is another ball. I choke up on the bat ready to swing at his next pitch. Michael throws the ball and I swing hearing the thump and vibration against my hands.

"Edmonds hits the ball and its going towards center field. Its going, going its out of here!" The commentator yells.

I make my way around the bases and is greeted by my team at home base. Everyone piles on top of me as I walk over the base with a huge smile on my face.

"Ladies and gentlemen we just witnessed history here tonight! Kenneth Edmonds just hit his career hit another home run making it his 2,000. That's a school and district record!" The commentator yells again.

"Congrats man!" Coach Williams yells.

I head into the locker room, shower and leave. I was told that there was a party in my honor tonight so of course I have to go.

Toni

"Toni Braxton we are going out tonight to have some fun. So be ready by 9:30!" Janet yelled through the phone. "Ugh why can't we stay in and watch movies"? "Girl I'll be at your window at 9:30 with a brick so be ready!" Janet yelled before ending the call.

"It'll be okay champ. Better luck next time." My dad said.

I watched my older brother Michael walk up the stairs in pity. Every time he loses a game he acts like its the end of the world. Which never really happens so I don't understand why he's so sad. I quickly close and lock my door then head to the shower and get dressed. I open my window right in time to see Janet pulling a brick out of her purse.

"Janet you have completely lost your mind." I whisper getting her attention. "Girl come on before I toss it and wake up everybody." Janet whispers back.

Janet was my best friend and she was wild and crazy. If you ever needed to whoop ass Janet was the one to call. She was the notorious "Brick Slinger" of our high school and town. I slowly slip out of my window to the tree and slowly climbed down.

"About fucking time girl. Now come on." Janet pulled me toward her sister car. "So where are we going?" I asked looking around. "We are heading to the after party for the Almighty High baseball team!" Janet squealed. "What? I can't go there! If Michael finds out I was there he'll kill me!" I blurt out. "Girl he'll get over it. I mean its just a game anyway." Janet shrugged.

We pulled up to the party and it was jumping. If the outside was like this I honestly wasn't ready for the inside. Janet and I walked through the party laughing at people as we made our way to the kitchen. We both grabbed a beer and camped out in the gazebo by the pool. Where we're from really isn't big but everyone doesn't know everyone. But at this party I knew everybody, I was definitely the life of the party.

"Toni come dance with me!" Alex yells.

I get up and start dancing with Alex. Alex is my guy best friend and he's also gay but he hasn't come out yet to everyone. Only Janet and I are the only ones that know. So Alex plays it off by always flirting with me and I have no problem with it. Suddenly everyone turns around yelling and shouting.

"CONGRATS!" Everyone yells around me. "Who is that?" I ask Alex. "Almighty baseball team." Alex replied.

The team walked through high-fiving and dapping some people. Then I saw a familiar face latched on to one of the guys. Janet was all over this one guy smiling from ear to ear like she just won a billion dollars. I turned my attention back on Alex and we spent the rest of the night hanging out.

"Toni there you are! I've been looking for you everywhere." Janet says. "Oh I've just been hanging out with Alex". Well I have some people I want you to meet. This is Chase, Matt, Kenny and Austin. Guys this my best friend Toni." Janet smiled.

All the guys looked at me smiling except one, he was deep into thought. I don't know what Janet told them but obviously they were very eager to meet me. It made me really nervous since I know Janet can be a tease when she's had a few drinks in her. Before I knew it Chase, Matt and Austin were sitting down in my personal space grinning at me.

"Damn can y'all back up a little?" I ask annoyed. "Oh she's a feisty one I like that." Matt winks. "Right someone needs to tame you baby girl and I'm the guy for the job." Chase says. "Look I don't know what Janet told y'all but I'm not that type of girl."

The guys bust out laughing like I was doing a stand up comedy special. I looked over at Kenny and he was still in his own world. I quickly get up realizing that I'm alone with 3 guys that are hitting on me and won't take no for an answer. I look everywhere for Janet and see no sign of her sisters car. I head to the street and see the car gone.

"So much of a friend you are Janet." I mumble. "Ah sweetness we meet again. Why did you run off I just want to be your friend." Chase smirks. "No thank you. I already have enough friends."

Chase grabs my wrist and pulls me into his chest. "That mouth of yours is so slick and I like it." Chase traced my lips with his fingers. "Get your damn hands off of me". "Or what? You've been playing with my emotions all night now you want to act shy?" Chase chuckled.

I looked around and no one was outside. Mostly everyone had left and everyone else was inside. Plus on top of all that we were in the darkest place know to man at the moment. I tried to knee him but it was he knew my every move.

"Nice try sweetness." Chase says before grabbing my jaws tightly. "Listen to me. You are going to corporate with me. You will not put up a struggle and if you do I promise I will break your jaw." Chase says through gritted teeth.

A wave of fear goes through my body as I realize that my worst fear is about to come true.