Chapter 15: Life Without Kenny

These last two weeks have been bittersweet. I'm doing good in school and I got a job! If I plan on being a successful veterinarian I have to start somewhere. I work at the local diner which is a high school hangout. Then I volunteer at the animal shelter.

"Baby girl! Toni!" My dad yelled snapping me out of my thoughts. "Huh?" I dumbly asked looking down the dinner table. "Can you pass me the broccoli?" My dad smiled at me as I frowned before handing him the dish.

Ever since the day I saw my dad cheating I've never looked at him the same. Everything he does disgust me. What kills me is he goes through the day acting normal! This guy has no worries as I'm concerned. And because of that I'm doing everything he told me not to do.

No job? Got one. Try out for softball? Hell no. Quit the school choir? No way. Spend my days cheering Mike on at his games? Nope.

It's killing me inside to know that my dad is ruining our family. My mom doesn't deserve this, she's past the definition of a good wife. That's why I have to play dumb. I can't tell her, hell I wouldn't know where to start anyway.

"Toni you need to quit your job. You're already distracted with school." My dad words stalked at me with cockiness. If I was in softball, basketball, tennis, cheerleading and school he wouldn't be saying that.

"I'm fine." I shortly respond and he sighs loudly. The tension in the room is thick. The only sound you hear are our forks scrapping against our plates. I can feel my dad eyes burning into me. I can also feel the coldness that Mike is giving me.

We barely talk and for right now it's better that way. Chad, my baby and I are secretly dating, kind of. Since we can't let anyone know about us we are moving very, very slow.

"I'm very proud of  proud." My mom says out of the blue loading the dishwasher. I walked out the kitchen with a smile on my face. My parents never complimented me, so this made me feel amazing.

"Ugh lets go man." Mike says to Chad when I walk into the living room. "Must you always be immature?" Chad laughs while nudging Mike.

Chad winks at me causing me to blush. Our interactions are small and quick. It's crazy but we decided that would be best.

"I forgot my phone!" Chad yells jogging back into the house. He picks his phone up and shoves it into his pocket before kissing me. I wrap my arms around his neck and he pulls me closer by my waist. The kiss is electrifying and sends shivers down my spine.

"I'll talk to you later beautiful." Chad's deep voice said into my neck. Then like that he was gone. I looked at the clock and saw it was time for me to get ready for work. A shower, and some other things and I was ready.

"What can I get for you?" I asked as all the eyes darted from there menus to me. "How about we get 4 burgers with fries and chocolate shakes, and for dessert you." This guy laughed then a look of terror appeared on his face. I turned around to see Michael standing behind me glaring at the guy. "Ma'am I am so sorry. Please forgive me." The guy apologized as I turned around a glared at Mike.

Michael smiled at me and opened up his arms, and just like that we were back to our old selves.

"Toni I need you outside right now!" My manger yelled. I put on my skates and swayed around like an angel taking and delivering orders. "Girl I'm swamped right now could you get that truck at the end." Clarissa, one of the other girls asked me. "Of course I can." I skated towards the truck. It was one of those huge duramax diesel trucks with huge tires. The closer I got to the truck I saw Stephanie Johnson sitting on the tailgate fixing her makeup. Sitting beside her was the one person I hadn't expected to see ever again.