Chapter 18: Danger Zone

Toni

"I'm sorry Toni. It wasn't suppose to happen like this." My dad turned off the radio and touched my shoulder. "No you're sorry I found out!" I jerked my body away from his touch.

"You're right. If I wouldn't have gotten caught I would had still been cheating. From now on I'm a married man and I'm loyal to your mother." I turn and look at my dad in disgust.

Did this guy just act like this is nothing? He basically just did out of sight out of mind. He knows I would never tell but my brother that's a different story.

"I know Michael is going to be devastated when he finds out." My dad quickly pulls over in a McDonalds parking lot. "No. This stays between us." My dad had this look of murder as he spoke through gritted teeth. His eyes were wild and full of anger.

"I can't. I'm not strong enough to look mother in the face knowing this."

"I know you aren't strong Toni. You're a female, you're not suppose to be strong. You're suppose to support your husband. Speaking of husband I see you saw the money." Every word that came out my dads mouth amazed me.

Then immediately everything made sense to me. Mom is a housewife her life revolves around her family. I couldn't do anything but stay home and watch and learn how to be a housewife.

"Dad that's wrong! When I say I'm not strong enough I don't mean I'm unable to function! I'm a woman and can do anything any man can do even better!" My dad got back on the road and chuckled.

"Sure you can princess. Now tell me what I have to buy so this secret stays between us." Dad turned the corner then looked at me. "I can't be bought." I pouted.

"GOT DAMN IT TONI! You and I both know what'll happen if your mother finds out! I've messed up but I can't live without my family! Now what do you want!" My dad yelled.

"I want you to suggest marriage counseling to mom! Y'all better go and learn!" I quickly got out the car slamming the door. I went upstairs to my room and locked the door.

Kenny

"Kenny we need to talk about this." My mother stood in my doorway with her arms folded. "Mom now really isn't the time. I got a hundred things on my mind."

"I know but I wanted you to know that when your father comes home, I'll confess." My mom stood there like she was waiting on me to say "no don't do that" but I won't.

"Ok." I turned over on my right side and grabbed my remote. My mother stood there for 5 more minutes as I watched tv.

"You did what! I thought we were working on us!" My dad was beyond pissed. I had never heard my dad this loud and my mom this silent. "I'm so sorry." My mom stuttered while crying. "Sorry! You can't be sorry! Who is he?" My dads voice cracked at the end. 

"I can't tell you." My mom responded. "What? Does Kenny know? Kenny! Kenny!" My dad started coming up the stairs calling my name. "It was Matthew!" My mom shouted and the house got quiet. "Who the hell is Matthew?" 

"Matthew Braxton!"