Chapter 24: Love Is Stupid

Kenny

"That night heading to the party one of my teammates already had plans with Janet. He wanted one of us to keep you company while he was with Janet. I declined the offer because I thought you were ugly. Chase was eager and when we got to the party Janet pointed you out to us. At that moment all of us were trying to talk to you."

"But you barely said anything to me." Toni pointed her finger in my chest.

"I know and let me tell you why. Chase started being cocky and wanted to bet on you. He thought since you hung out with Janet you would be easy like her. I didn't want to participate, honestly I didn't but they started teasing me so I agreed."

"What was the bet and how much?" Toni voice became shaky.

"Who could mess with you first would get some money."

"How much?" Toni yelled.

"We shook on putting a couple thousand in. Now the total is 20,000."

"You made 20,000 off of a bet? How could you be so inconsiderate? I trusted you." Toni began to cry.

"And you still can trust me. Look I never confirmed anything about us. As time went on the money amount increased. On top of that it was some kids from your school that told. They kept seeing me picking and dropping you off at school. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure our situation out."

"I can't believe you Kenny!" Toni slapped me once and was about to slap me again.

"Look I'm sorry. I got the money after we broke up. I never told them anything." I reached under the bed and grabbed the duffle bag with the money in it.

"What's that?" Toni mumbled. "It's the money and I want you to use it for your college tuition. I know you think this is crazy but my intentions were to always give you the money."

"Did Janet know?" Toni asked on the verge of tears.

"Not at the moment. Look no one knew that Chase would attempt to rape you. Janet started questioning that night after y'all altercation at school. I told Janet a couple days ago that I wouldn't tell you and we would take it to our grave. I couldn't lie to you anymore."

"Take me home." Toni says while heading towards her suitcases.

Toni

"Toni I'm sorry don't leave let's talk." Kenny pleaded the whole time I was packing. "No. You've lied to me for too long!" Toni grabbed her bags and stormed out the bedroom.

"I didn't lie to you! I just never fully told you everything. That night is the past it was stupid but no one cares. It was a friendly bet it wasn't like I taped us or anything." Kenny said.

"I don't know that now take me home!"

The car ride was long and quiet. I can't even stand to look at Kenny right now. A bet? Really? He waited until now to tell me this and that's what hurts the most. We pull up to my house  and sit quietly in the car.

"Here." I hand Kenny back the bracelet he brought me. "Toni. Please don't. I'm sorry. "Nope this is it we're officially done." I grabbed my luggage and went inside my house.

2 hours later Michael came into my room. "Give him a chance." Michael said shocking that hell out of me. "You can't be serious. He lied to me just like Janet is lying to you."

I know this isn't the time to tell him something like this. Hell I guess misery does love company.

"Janet had positive pregnancy test in new boxes. There's a huge chance she might not be pregnant." I say calmly waiting on Mike's response. This can go bad for me or bad for Janet either way it's bad.

"Are you sure?" Michael ask. "Positive." And like that Michael is running out my room and flying down the stairs. I hear his truck crank up and know I just did the stupidest thing ever.

Michael

That conniving, sneaky slut! I can't believe I actually thought she was pregnant!

I go straight to her house and bang and ring the doorbell nonstop. I'm furious right now! If she wants to play mind games so can I! She's been so called having morning sickness and eating everything in sight.

"Oh hey Michael. Come in." Janet moved aside. "No I don't have time for that. I know this sounds crazy but let's elope." Janet eyes grow wide and she looks shocked. "Elope?" Janet mumbles.

"Yes. I want us to be married before our child gets here." I grab Janet hand and jog with her to my truck.

"Come on Mrs. Braxton let's go get married."

The ride is long and quiet. I can Janet fidgeting with her hands. I pull up to a wedding chapel and after I pay some money we are standing in front of a preacher.

"Do you Michael take Janet to be your lawfully wedded wife?" I'm asked. "I do." I proudly say.

"Do you Janet take Michael to be your lawfully wedded husband?" The preacher asks Janet. "I don't. Michael I'm not really pregnant." Janet mumbles. 

"I know. Man thanks for everything." I look at the preachers who's actually one of the sport commentators for my school. "You bastard!" Janet yells furiously. "Yeah whatever Janet. You tried to play me. Now find a way back home!"