Chapter 25: Realization

Kenny

It has been a month since I talked to Toni. If I see her in public she avoids me and she's blocked me from every social media know to mankind. Mike says give "her time and space." But shit how much does she need a month is enough!"

Summer is approaching and I need to know if we have a chance. She has my whole life hanging by her word and she doesn't even know it.

"So she hasn't mentioned me at all?" I ask Mike for the 59th time. "Noooo!" Mike yells before laughing. "Look my sister is stubborn but she'll come around eventually." Mike patted my shoulder.

I thought after Mike found out everything he would kill me. Shockingly, he decided to try to help me win back Toni.  Too bad Toni don't play.

"She stood be coming in the house from work at any minute. When she does play it cool." Mike says before the front door opens.

Toni walked in and her eye grazed the living room.

"Hey." Toni said cheerfully. "Hey." Mike and I responded in unison. "Mike did you go grocery shopping like I asked?" Toni questioned. "You know I'm not good at those things." Mike whined. "Well when I get out the shower we are going. So get ready to carry bags." Toni said.

"I can't. I've been told not to do anything with my wrist. But Kenny's wrist look fine." Mike says and Toni looks at me.

At this moment I don't know what to do. I'm definitely nervous and the fact that she looking at me is turning me on.

"Fine. Kenneth be ready in 30 minutes." Toni storms off and Mike laughs.

30 minutes Toni came downstairs ready to go. The drive to the grocery store was silent. The shopping was silent. The way back home was silent. The unpacking of the groceries was silent.

Mike was gone and their mother was at work. So it was Toni and I.

"I'm sorry." I blurt out. "Will you please stop apologizing? What's done is done? The situation is done. We're done. So leave me alone." Toni bluntly stated.

"So we don't have a chance?" I whisper. "Nope." Toni turned around and looked me in my eyes.

I stormed out. That was all I needed to hear from her. I got in my truck and drove to the place I've been avoiding for a while.

"Good afternoon!" A woman said. "Hi. I'm here to sign up to take the GED test." I stated.

Toni

"He bet on me like I was a horse or a dog and for that he's nothing to me."

"You're just like dad!" Mike screamed at me. "No I'm not!" I snapped back. "Uh huh you want everything to go your way!" Mike replied slamming dishes into the sink. "Whatever."

In the last month I actually met someone. He's a volunteer at the animal shelter. I've know him for a while but I didn't know we had so much in common.

"I'm going out!" I yell to Mike. "Be home by 12!" Mike yelled back.

In 3 weeks Mike will graduate and go off to college. I'm so ready for him to leave. That means Kenny won't be over to the house anymore. Praise God!

"Hey you."Damon says before pulling me into a hug. I blush instantly from our interaction. I really like Damon for some odd reason. He's a skinny brown skin guy with curly hair.

"Hey."I peck his cheek and he blushes too. "How have you been?" Damon asks as he intertwined our fingers. "Okay just stressed."

"Sorry to hear that. Whatever it is you'll make the right decision." Damon replied.

Damon and were walking through the food court at the mall when I saw Kenny and some of his friends. I grabbed Damon's hand tighter and walked proudly beside him.

"Are you okay?" Damon asked. "Yeah why do you ask?"

"You squeezed the hell out of my hand for one." Damon said rubbing his right hand. "Sorry it's just I saw my ex and I had to prove to him I moved on just then."

"Oh. Who's your ex?" Damon asked. "Kenny." I mumble. "Edmonds?" Damon asked. "Yeah."

"Oh no." Damon mumbled. "Your the girl that had my cousin loosing his mind for a month." My eyes grew wide.

I know damn well he didn't just say cousin. As I look at him he does look like Kenny. How in the hell did I miss that?

"I'm sorry Toni I really like you but I can't do my cousin wrong." Damon says before walking off.

I look over to where Kenny was and he was gone too.