Chapter Thirteen

(Jacob's POV)

"Sure," she answered.

I gave Jazmine a smile, showing her my pearly whites and started taking things out of the picnic basket. I pulled out a soft, cashmere blanket.

I closed the picnic basket and laid down the blanket. I sat down on top of it and motioned for Jazmine to do the same.

She sat down slowly and gave curious glances between the picnic basket and me.

Knowing what she was going to do, I gave her a disapproving look, shaking my head. She stared blankly at me. I did the same to her.

Without a warning, Jazmine reached to open the picnic basket. She got a hold of it and brought it towards her so she could open it.

I had put something in the basket that was personal while I was packing it. Something that she wouldn't understand until we left.

I stopped her hand before she could. "You know," I said to her, like she was a little kid learning something new, "curiosity killed the cat."

We were back to doing it again. I stared at her. She stared at me. This was probably going to be our thing.

She pouted a bit, but quickly returned to her normal face.

I hated it when girls did that. It didn't make them look as pretty as they had before.

"Ow," Jazmine said, massaging her face. "How do people do that with their faces?"

Good thing she didn't do that, or we would've had a problem with that. I shrugged, "I have the slightest idea."

Suddenly, out of nowhere, I heard a loud blare from somewhere. I jumped to my feet, turned around, and got into some sort of ninja pose. I had mad reflexes.

I looked around me, trying to find out where the sound had come from. The only thing I saw was the tent where the festival was being held.

I turned to Jazmine who was cracking up from behind me. She was laughing so hard it sounded like she was going to die of laughter.

"What?" I asked, clearly confused.

After many failed attempts to regain breath, she finally answered, "You actually jumped!"

I have crazy reflexes like that. Make one sound and I jump.

Jazmine took a few more breaths before she continued. "It was just a trumpet warming up."

Duh. That made sense. After all there was a tent holding a jazz festival behind us. Then a thought occurred to me. "How do you know what a trumpet warming up sounds like?"

"Uhhhh," Jazmine said nervously scratching her head. This was going to be fun.

"Uhhhh," I said copying her and smirking.

"I used to play in middle school band," she said lowly and turning around.

"What did you say?" I asked. I already heard her but I wanted her to say it louder.

"I used to play trumpet in middle school," she answered louder, as if she was proud of this even though I knew she wasn't.

"You used to be a band geek?!"

Before I knew it I was laughing uncontrollably. I wasn't even trying to suppress my laughter.

"Shut up," she commanded quietly.

I continued laughing, pretending I didn't hear her.

"Shut up!" she said louder this time. She was annoyed.