Chapter Eighteen

(Derrick's Point of View)

I walked down the walkway towards the prison. After I got cleared, I made a request to see my close friend, Ray. I waited for them to bring him out so we could talk through the phones. I watched through the glass as a prison warden brought him into the room where we would communicate.

After he got seated, I picked up the phone and Ray did the same. "Dee, I can't take it in here."

"You got bailed out," I told him.

Ray scoffed then smirked. "She actually did it. Damn."

I smiled as well. "I told you she would. She's stupid like that."

We both laughed wildly. "When am I gettin out?" Ray asked, calming down his laughter.

"I came to pick you up," I answered.

"Cool, where am I gonna stay?"

"Jazmine's not stayin at that house."

Suddenly, a warden came to collect him. Ray tried to shrug the warden off him, but the warden's grip on him was too strong. The warden picked up the phone. "You're not gonna be able to pick him up today," he said in his strong southern accent. "Come back on Sunday."

And with that, he left. I walked out of the building and made my way to my black Mercedes. I drove down to my hideout in downtown.

As soon as I entered the room, I was bombarded with questions from customers and "staff" members.

"Where were you," an over-excited guy asked, Jonathan.

"Takin care of business," I answered. "How many customers we got?"

"A lot," Jennifer answered, coming out of the section where customers waited for their own supply.

Distantly, I could hear someone, who sounded like a girl, arguing with one of my staff members, Drew.

"What do you mean I can't get my supply?!" she yelled, outraged.

"Derrick hasn't cooked it yet," Drew answered, trying to have patience with her.

"Why the hell not?!" the lady yelled again. She really was angry.

Since I didn't want things to get too intense in their fight, I went to calm things down. "What's the problem here?"

The lady who Drew had been fighting with gave me an irritated look. I recognized her immediately. Her green eyes, waist-length black hair, and tan skin weren't hard to recognize. Of course, it was Jaida.

"Derrick, finally, you're here. What's taking you so long to cook?" Jaida asked.

I moved in close to her and whispered in her ear, "I was visiting Ray."

Jaida gave me an understanding look. A thought suddenly came to my mind. I started smiling. "I heard things with Jacob went as planned."

I gave Drew a nod, signaling that it was time for him to leave. He got my message and went back into the kitchen.

As soon as he left, Jaida gave me her signature evil smile and nodded. "Poor little sucker, he couldn't resist me."

I gave Jaida a quizzical look. "Don't tell me we're getting a conscious."

Jaida gave me an appalled look and inhaled deeply in shock. "Me? Never."

I smiled. "Well, you did good. They're apart again," I gave Jaida a confused look. "Why are you here? You don't do drugs."

Jaida shivered and shook her head. "I'm gonna try to give this to Jacob. Jazmine broke his heart so many times, he'll probably not even care anymore."