Chapter Fifteen

(Jazmine's POV)

"I don't like him ma," my mother, Sharlene said, in her thick Trinidadian accent.

I had changed back into my hospital getup since Damien and Jacob left. I was settled back in my bed with my parents and my aunt and uncle surrounding me.

My older brother, Josh, my cousin, Adande, my aunt and uncle Macy and Jordan, my parents Sharlene and Mason, and a few friends of my brother's had come to L.A. from Florida.

"Why not?" I asked my mother, looking up at her with concerned eyes.

"Isn't he the same guy who lied to you about who he was those five years ago?" she asked me.

I looked down and started playing with my hands. "Yes," I said lowly. "But you don't like any guy I date."

"Well haven't all the guys you dated turned out to be jerks?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

Everyone else in the room was silent. This is how the family arguments had always been. My mom and I always fought and no one took sides. Getting into one of our fights would be toxic. My mother and I were too much alike.

"Well not all of them," I said a little louder.

"Really?" she asked.

"Yes really."

"Even him?"

"Especially not him. Jacob, only lied to me so I could like him for him."

My mother threw her arms up in surrender. She probably didn't want to start in a hospital. "Fine you win."

This is how it always was. The fight was never over until one of us surrendered. Today's fight hadn't dragged on too long, but maybe she just wanted to give me a break since I was in the hospital. Usually at the end of our fights, my dad would say something to bring down the level of awkwardness.

"How are you feeling?" my father asked, trying to make the situation less awkward.

"Better," I said. "They're thinking about releasing me tomorrow."

"That's good," he responded.

"We'll stay until you get out," my uncle assured me.

My aunt gave him a confused look. My uncle gave her a serious look and a nod. She probably didn't want to stay in L.A. We hadn't hated each other, but she usually leaned towards my mom during our arguments.

"When do you think you'll be leaving?" I asked.

My father thought about it, "Maybe on Sunday."

I smiled. I looked over to my mother who had been on her vow of silence. I shrugged my shoulders.

"What exactly happened?" my mother asked, finally speaking.

"What are you talking about?" I asked her, although I already knew what she was talking about.

My mother sensed that I didn't want to talk about it at the moment. "How about I have your brother and your cousin and their friends come in?" she asked.

I nodded. She, my father, and my aunt and uncle left the room.

"Where she at?" I heard my brother's loud voice call. There were giggles in the hall. "What she all the way down here for?"

I laughed to myself. My brother had always been the same. He was loud and spoke his mind.

I heard the door slam open. I rolled my eyes. Josh, Adande, and a few girls and boys entered the room.