chapter 11

*Hayley's POV*

Cyrus and Jared had left, and not after them all the other vampires left, leaving just me and The Cardinal. Alone. Together. Great.

He stepped up closer to me, brushing a stray bit of hair from my face, a soft smile playing across his lips, "Oh Hayley, why did you have to run? You getting hurt was never supposed to happen...yet you've forced it on yourself," he leaned in closer till we were near centimetres apart, "If you had just been a good girl then you wouldn't have had to cope with Jared doing this to you..."

My voice came out in a mere squeak, trembling as it did so, "Then why didn't you tell him to stop...?"

He let out a low and cold chuckle, moving in even closer still, "Because then you wouldn't be able to get very far if you were injured."

Screw this. I took a step away from in, not wanting him to come any closer to me. I felt my lips curl back into what I hoped looked like a snarl and glared at him, "If this was some twisted way to get me to see you as the better guy than him then it's not working. You're a sick bastard...You're a freak!" I screamed the last part at him, not really meaning my voice to rise but I just couldn't help it. I was scared and wanted to get the hell out of here.

Ah shit, he didn't like that one bit. His eyes darkened in anger until they were almost totally black and his fangs appeared. I took my chance and sprinted myself forward - ignoring the pain that was creeping up my legs from being chucked about the place. I wasn't fast enough. His arms lashed out and grabbed onto me, one round my waist, the other scraping at my throat and he slammed me up against the wall - hard.

I winced as the dots danced across my vision and felt like I was about to pass out at any second. He brought his face close to mine, trying to intimidate me with his fangs, "Let's get one thing straight here, girl, I don't seek to make it seem as though I'm the good guy. Because you know what? I'm far from it! The reason I let Jared continue was because it was good to watch as you were being punished for being an ungrateful little cow."

"Ungrateful?! How the hell does that even work?!" I wheezed.

"For starters I'm the one that found you employment in my palace and told all my Heartatacks not to hurt you - as I do with everyone. They're all banned from touching any of my little workers unless I say so. You, however, I just happened to say that if any one even went near you with an intention of hurting you, I would kill. Personally. I didn't think you were the kind to throw generosity like that back in someone's face!" his grip around my neck tightened and a whimper of pain escaped from my mouth.

I watched as his eyes slowly returned back to normal and his grip slowly loosened and then disappeared completely. I breathed in a welcome gulp of air and looked up at The Cardinal, wanting to ask what his deal was when suddenly my head made contact with the wall behind.

*Drew's POV*  

Everyone had been on edge since the second Cy had set off for the centre of Grandomania. I would say me most of all. I hadn't sat down since then and kept pacing about the rooms, playing with my hands and getting more and more worried as the time went on. Laurence had told him that it would take about four hours to get there and back in total. Cy had been gone nearly eight, and this didn't help my increasing panic.  

My pacing was stopped when a hand was placed on my shoulder, pulling me to a halt and Kier's familiar voice came from behind me, "Drew, he'll be back soon. Try not to worry too much."  

I spun round to face him, "Not worry too much?! He's been gone double the time Laurence said it would take him! What if something's happened to him?! What if he's been kidnapped?! What if-"