8~ Never Trust A Pirate

*Elizabeth's P.O.V*

I heard a stampede of footsteps followed by yelling. Racing up to the deck members of the crew darted around me with Gibbs yelling in their ears: "Hands aloft to loose t'gallants! With this wind at her stern, she'll carry every sail we've got!"

I looked up at Gibbs on the stairs with wide eyes. "What's happening?"

"The Black Pearl," Anamaria at the helm spoke. "She's gaining on us."

I looked out over the side and sure enough, the ghostly ship with its black sails was coming up close behind. I squinted. Someone was dangling off the main sail. Gibbs handed me a telescope and my eyes widened as I focused on the figure.

Maddie.

"This is the fastest ship in the Caribbean!" I protested as I joined Anamaria on the upper deck.

"You can tell them that after they've caught us," she snapped.

"We're shallow on the draft, right?" I asked her.

"Aye."

"Well, then can't we lose them amongst those shoals?" I pointed over my shoulder and Gibbs saw where I was getting at.

"We don't have to outrun them long," he said. "Just long enough."

Anamaria nodded. "Lighten the ship, stem to step!" she yelled.

'Anything we can afford to lose..." Gibbs yelled over the railing at the crew. "...see that it's lost!"

Moments later barrels and anything else we could afford to lose were being tossed overboard. I kept looking but saw no other sign of my siste, which worried me. What had she been doing, dangling from the main sail in the first place? I shook my head and smirked. The things that my sister gets herself into...

Looking back at the ship again I felt my heart sink. Anamaria and Gibbs were also watching. The Black Pearl was even closer than before, and they had oars.

"It was a good plan..." Anamaria sounded sympathetic. "Up 'till now."

"Gibbs!" Will ran up beside the first mate. "We have to make a stand. We must fight! Load the guns!"

"With what?" Anamaria asked.

"Anything," he replied. "Everything! Anything we have left."

Gibbs looked reluctant but hen nodded and joined the crew. "Load the guns! Take shot and langrage. Nails and crushed glass. With a will!"

Anything that was left to spare was being stuffed into the cannons by anyone at hand; cutlery, parchment, smashed dishes, even Gibb's canteen. "The Pearl is going to luff up on our quarter," Gibbs called. "She'll rake us without ever presenting a target."

An idea suddenly popped into my head. "Lower the anchor on the right side." They all stared at me. "On the starboard side!"

"It certainly has the element of surprise," Will supported.

"You're daft, lady!" Anamaria stated. "You both are!"

"Daft like Jack!" Gibbs smirked then turned to the deck below. "Lower the starboard anchor!" The crew hesitated. "Do it, ye dogs, or it's you we'll load into the cannons."

With a rush the anchor was lowered. I turned to Anamaria. "Let go!" She let go of the wheel and everyone onboard had to hand on to something as the ship swung about.

*

As the two ships came up side by side the atmosphere was tense as members from both crews yelled insults at the other.