Chapter Three - Good Bye

Kathryn's P.O.V

I raced out of the elevator to room 920. I found my mom, lying there. She had tubes and wires hooked up to her. I slowly walked over to her and grabbed her hand. It was cold and lifeless. I fell to my knees crying begging God to save her and let her wake, I asked why and questioned God. As a Christian you aren't suppose to question God, but I couldn't stop myself from it. Next thing I knew my aunt had started talking to me, telling me something I could believe I was hearing.

"Kathryn, you need to go see your dad and spend more time with him right now. It is important the you see him and say good bye to him first"

"Why?" I asked worried.

"He will not make it and they are taking him off of life support in the morning."

"No!" I exclaim. I could believe what I was hearing. By tomorrow morning I wouldn't have a dad.

I slowly walked to room 921, to see my dad. He looked just like my mom. I grabbed his hand just like I did with my mom, only tighter. I fell to my knees, and did the same exact thing I did with my mom. Then my I heard some people crying beside me, and I felt a hand on my shoulder. I knew who it was without even looking. It was my aunts and uncles and grandma from my dad's side of the family.

~~~~~~~~~~

I was sitting in the chair in my dad's room. I was about to fall asleep, so my eyes were closed. My Aunt Debbie was talking with one of my aunts, three of my uncles and my grandma. They thought I was asleep, so they were talking about what would happen to me in the event of my mom passing. It was hard to understand them because they were so quite, trying not to wake me up but they didn't know that I was really awake and listening to them. I didn't dare tell them I was, because I knew they would stop talking about it. They didn't want to upset me with saying the possibility of my mom not making it either.

My Aunt Debbie said I should live with my other grandparents in Arkansas, or stay with who ever I wanted to stay with. My other aunt said that her and my uncle(her husband) would be willing to take me. I really had no other choices, because there was no room for me with any other relatives, except one of my cousins. No matter the choice I make I will have to leave my home town and start a new school. The only way I could stay in my home town was if I lived with my neighbors, who I already call my grandparents from a close family friend relationship. I didn't want to move to a new town and go to a new school, so I knew what I had chosen to do.

"In the event of loosing my mother, I want to live with my neighbors." I spoke up without opening my eyes.

"But Kathryn don't you want to live with a family member more?" One of my uncles questioned

"Yes I do, but I want to live in Echo and graduate from Echo even more!" I replied

I looked up and saw them all staring at me.

"It is your choice Hun" said my other uncle

I then passed out.

~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up that morning. With a pain in my neck from sleeping on the hard hospital chair all night. A nurse was in the room getting things ready to take my dad off life support. I got up and the nurse saw me.

"Good morning" she said with a smile

"What is so good about a morning that you loose your father?" I questioned her

She frowned "Stay positive kid, things will turn out alright. You have about fifteen minutes." she left leaving no one in the room but my dad and I.

I stood at my dad's side and looked at him. I started to cry.

"I can't believe this is really happening. Everything was fine twenty-four hours ago. I know you can't hear me dad, but I have so much to say. First thing is that I love you so much. I hope I can make you proud. There is so much I never told you and so much I never had the chance to say. I know you probably wouldn't be okay with this, but I was asked to the Junior High dance by a boy in my class. His name is Ty and he is a great guy. I told him yes. I also know how much you hated the thought of me wanting go and you wouldn't let me go on that missions trip with the church to Mexico this year or to Uganda next year, but right now I really want to be a missionary when I grow up. I would love to travel the world telling others about God, I know how much you would hate the thought of that. I remember when I was three and four years old. Since you worked night shift, you were always up tell 5-6 in the morning. I remember you and I would stay up tell midnight when you would put me to sleep. We would sit and watch cartoons while eating orange sherbert ice cream, all night long. I remember the day before my tenth birthday I had a terrible day and I came home and told you all about it. You felt so bad for me that you gave me one of my presents early. I remember it was a basketball. I remember taking it to school and playing basketball with the kids in my class. I remember the day of grandpa's funeral and seeing you cry for the first time. It was also the last time I saw you cry."

I checked my watch. It had been fifteen minutes and I could hear the nurse outside.

"I have so many great memories of you and I love you so much. I will see you on the other side dad. Good bye!"

The nurse walked in.

"Okay honey, did you say good bye?"

"Yes I did"

"Do you want to be in hear when I turn it off?"

"If I am not then I will just spend my life thinking of what it did look like"

"Okay then, your choice"

I watched as she turned off switch after switch. Then finally she hit the last switch and his heart stopped. I stood in silence as the nurse left the room. I didn't move, I didn't cry, I just stood there staring at a sheet covering a body. A dead, lifeless body. Then I felt someone's presence but when I turned around no one was there. I knew my father's spirit was there I felt his hand rub my back, just like he did when he would come tell me good night. Then the feeling was gone, which meant so was he. I had to get out of here, get out of this depressing room. I decided to go see my mom.

~~~~~~~~~~

I spent time in my mom's room with my aunt. We were talking. I told her about Ty and I told her about Monique and I told about all the things going on at school. By 12:30 I decided to go for a walk to the hospital's garden to spend some time alone.