Chapter 1

According the listing sent out to the new residents there are only 2 women among a group of incoming first year residents that will gather in the large conference room at Sta. Barbara County Medical Center. This is one of the busiest public hospital in the region. This was established by one of the riches family in the region and was handled by the said family.

Because it was an old hospital, the building is now all rusty and looks like about to collapse when the next earthquake happen. But since this is the largest hospital in the region, it still employs the biggest number of employees, which stands at 8,000 composed of doctors, nurses, aides, technicians and other employees of different departments.

The guy residents were gathered at the front part of the conference room talking to one another. The only woman who was present was seated at the back part of the conference room. The door at the back suddenly opens and another woman entered. The sound made by the opening of the door caught the attention of everyone in the room. Upon seeing the person who entered, one of the guys loudly spoke, "Miss this is the orientation for the resident-doctors. I believe the nurses' orientation is down the hall." The other guys then laugh.

The woman seated a while ago, approached the other lady who just came in and introduced herself.

"Hi! I'm Valeen Montenegro. I studied at St. Louis University." And the lady offered her hand to shake her hand.

"Hello! I'm Nicomaine Mendoza. You can just call me Maine for short. I studied at St. Paul University." She said with a small smile as she reaches out her hand as well.

"Don't mind them. They are just trying to assert themselves. They think that they are more superior just because they are male. If I know better, they are all virgins and just wanted to get into our pants." Valeen said as she laughs at her own joke.

"Hahaha... I think you're right." Maine replied.

"Right with what? That they are virgins or they just wanted to get into our pants?" Valeen said jokingly.

Maine then turned red with what Valeen said and answered "I think both." she answered as they giggled.

"I think we will be good friends. You know, since were the only two woman on this group we should stick together."

"Yeah, I think you're right. Girl Power!" Maine said enthusiastically.

Before any of them can say anything else, the door at the front of the conference room opened. A slightly old man walk towards the podium. When the audience saw the man in front, they all settled down. The man then spoke "Good Afternoon Everyone! Welcome to Sta. Barbara County Medical Center. I'm Dr. Jose Mari De Leon. I'm the hospital administrator. You may think that you are well knowledgeable with regard to human body. On your first two years in medical school, you have dealt with cadavers. Then on your last two years, you have been handling real patients under a senior doctor. Now, you being residents, you are now in-charge of the life of your patients. Yes it's awesome to do that, but remember that any great power comes greater responsibility. Whatever you do with your patients can decide how long that person lives. Your stay here requires both a lot of dedication and skills."

He then looked at each and every resident and continued "Some of you are planning to go into surgery while others are going for internal medicine. Each group will be assigned to a senior resident who will explain and guide you on your daily routine. From now on, everything you do could be a matter of life or death."

"Remember Sta. Barbara Country Medical Center is a public teaching hospital. We admit anyone that comes to our door. Most of our patients are indigent and our emergency rooms are busy twenty-four seven. I promise you, you will learn a lot here. You will be overwork and underpaid. Our motto here is 'Watch one, do one, teach one.' The sooner we get you to do your own surgery, the better. We are understaffed so you better be damn good. Now, are there any questions?" He then looked around the conference room.

All the residents have a lot of questions on their mind that they don't know what to ask first. And because they have not react immediately, Dr. De Leon continued. "Good, no questions. Now, your official first day will be tomorrow. Be here at exactly 5:30 in the morning for your first round. Proceed at the main reception of the surgery department. You are now dismissed." With that, he left the conference room.

When the door finally closes, the room was filled with buzz. The men immediately talked to one another and walked towards the door. The only two people left were the two women.

"Wow that was fast!" Valeen said.

"Yeah. I can't wait for tomorrow." Maine agreed.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow. I still need to look for a place to stay. I'm currently staying at a motel. Better get a house soon." Valeen added.

"Really? I myself is looking for a house. I already saw 1 place but it's too expensive for 1 person. It has 2 bedrooms. Do you want to share?" Maine asked.

"That's a nice idea. Why don't we look at it now and get it." Valeen suggested.

"Deal. Let's go." Maine said.