Chapter 21

Richard arrived at Maine's house at around 5PM. His meeting with his father took longer than what he initially planned. The only good thing that came out of that long meeting was, his father understand his request to still take the next 5 days off from work. He even told him to take all the time he needs to take care of Maine. That thought have put a smile on his face.

As he walks down the path towards Maine's house, he noticed that his mother's car was nowhere to be seen. Maybe Mom sent the driver to buy something, he thought. When he reached the door, he rang the doorbell. However, after three tries, now one was answering. That's unusual, Maine usually opens the door on the first ring. And why doesn't Mom open the door. He thought to himself. Richard then went to the back door. He knows that Maine and Valeen keeps a key under one of the flowerpot in there in case of emergency.

He went in from the back door and looked for both Maine and his mom.

"Maine? Where are you? He said out loud. When no one answered, he again called out a little louder than his normal voice. "Maine?.... Mom?...." When no one answered, he decided to check on the Maine's room and the bathroom. It was then he realized that no one was in there. This got him worried. Where are they? Where's Maine? Did something happened to her? These where her thoughts. He was about to call his mom's phone when the front door opened. He then immediately proceeded to the living room. It was at that same time when he saw both Maine and his mom coming in and was laughing while carrying some paper bags.

"Where the hell this you go?" he asked both women. He is already sounding angry knowing that Maine went out instead of just taking a rest.

The two women were startled with Richard's question. "Uhm, Tita and I went to have lunch at the mall and did some shopping." Maine said.

Richard's eyebrows were already raised so high and his look is something like he's about to explode. He then looked at his mom and said, "You dragged her to the mall knowing that she's still sick?"

"Son, we just had lunch and passed by two boutiques." His mother said.

"Two boutiques? You guys can barely carry all those shopping bags and you wanted me to believe that you only went to two stores?" he asked. Just then their driver came in carrying more paper bags. The look from Richard's face was so comical as he looks at the paper bags that their driver put down on the table.

"Now, tell me you just went to two stores?" he challenged his mother.

"Okay, it was more than two. You know that when I shop, I tend to visit all the shops there." Rose said defensively.

"All stores?!? And you let Maine accompany you?"

"It was really no big deal Richard. I did enjoyed it as well." Maine quickly answered.

"That's not the point. You know that you're still recovering. You're not supposed to go out and get tired." He said pointedly.

"But, I'm feeling well already. Besides we were only away for 5 hours or less." Maine said.

"I'm sorry son. You're right, I shouldn't have taken her out. I should have made her rest. I'm sorry, it was my fault. Rose said to his son.

"Tita, I'm alright. You don't need to feel guilty. I'm perfectly fine." Maine said.

"I know. But still you're supposed to rest. We should have just planned this on another day." Rose said.

"Okay, okay. It's done. At least you're now here. Now, why don't you two rest, and I will prepare for dinner." Richard said.

"Oh. Sorry, I won't stay for dinner anymore. You're dad already called earlier and he said that he wants me to accompany him on once of his dinner meetings. So, I better leave." Rose said with a smile.

Afterwards, Rose turned to Maine and held her hands. "Thank you for this day Maine. You really made me happy."

"No, I should be the one to thank you. I really had a wonderful afternoon. Thank you." Maine then embraced her. After that embrace, Maine continued, "Next time I will be the one who will visit you and we will spend the whole day together. We can go to the spa and then shop."

"Oh, I would love that. I'm looking forward to that day. Promise me you will visit me soon." Rose said.

"I promise Tita. Thank you. I'll see you soon." Maine promised. She then kissed her on the cheeks to seal her promise.

Richard saw the happiness in the eyes of her mother. He knows that her mother was really happy and that he knows that his mother really like Maine already, they are so attached to each other now. But it seems like the two most important women in his life already forgot that's he in the room with them. He then cleared his throat. "Uhhmmm, uhhmmm..."

The two ladies then turned to look at him and smiled. "Well, I won't stay any longer. I still need to get ready or your dad will say that I have already abandoned him." Rose said.

That comment made everyone in the room laugh. After that, Richard's mother left them.

Richard then took Maine's hand and said, "Thank you. Thank you for making my mom happy. I've never seen her that happy yet."

"Your mom is way too cool. I really enjoyed our afternoon together. Thank you for introducing me to your mom." Maine said with a smile.

"Seems like you and my mom are now really close." Richard said. "You know, she can be your mother?!"

"Really? And how will that happen." Maine asked with a smile. Of course she knows where their conversation is going but she still decided to ask him.

"Well, if you agree to become my girlfriend and we get married, she can be your mother-in-law." He stated.

"Hahaha... You really have an advance thinking isn't it." Maine said defensively with a laugh. She then turned around as she knows her face is getting red as she was very conscious with what Richard just said.

Richard was smiling and he knows that Maine was embarrassed with the mention of 'girlfriend' and "marriage' and he doesn't want to push the subject at the moment. So he just said, "So, I know you're tired. Why don't you go inside your room. Get some rest while I prepare for dinner."

"Okay. I will." She then went to her room. Before she entered she turned to Richard and said, "Richard, thank you. Thank you for everything." She smiled at him and went inside her room without waiting for his answer.