Chapter 23

"And who was the last person she spoke to?" the nice police man asks us.

"Well, she had been on the phone with her boyfriend for about 20 minutes." I tell him and proceed to give him Zayn's information.

"Okay, and you two were the only ones in the house besides her?" He points his pen towards us.

"Yes, sir." Niall speaks before me.

"And where were y'all at the time of her disappearance?" the officer continues.

"Um," I blush a little. "we were upstairs."

"Alright. And that's when you heard her scream and you ran down to the living room to try and find her and-"

"And we couldn't find her, she was gone. Now is that all?" Niall seems a bit inpatient.

"Yes, thank you for your time. we will do our best to help find your friend." He shows us out of the police department and we go back home to see if she'll show up again.

"I hope she's okay." I begin to feel my eyes watering up and Niall hugs me. Where could she have gone? Who could have taken her? "Niall?" I pull out of his release on me and look at him. "We should start thinking of who could have taken her." I pull myself together.

"Okay." He sighs and keeps one arm around me. We're sitting on the couch in my living room where Sarah was not that long ago, making me realize how much I wish she was still here. "Let's backtrack our steps since she's been here. Who is someone that would want her to themselves? Or someone that wanted her out of the way? Or to get closer to someone else? Or maybe to- Gosh, I don't know." Niall stops.

"Okay, well the only new people she met that I know of were you, Harry, Louis, Liam, and Zayn." I count out.

"Okay, well it's obviously not me, Harry and Louis are locked up, Liam wouldn't have a reason for her, I don't think." He pauses for a second. "Let me call him." I watch as he quickly dials the number and waits for him to pick up.

"Liam! Hey, mate, what's up?" He's acting very friendly.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm just sitting here with Jess. Hey, you remember Sarah, right? Jess' friend?" Niall asks.

"Oh, well I was just wondering if you know where she is by any chance? We've seemed to have lost track of her I guess you could say." He tries to tell Liam in an order that doesn't involve anyone freaking out again.

"Okay, well thanks anyways, just give me a ring if you hear from her." Niall hangs up the phone and looks back up at me. "Nope, not Liam. He's about an hour or two away at some friends party or something."

"Oh, okay." I look down again. I'm so worried about her. "That leaves Zayn." I think on how we could contact him without leaving. "He's my doctor, I have his number somewhere on these papers." I shuffle through the many discharge papers that I set on the coffee table and find his cell number. "Here it is, let me call him." I dial the number and Niall and I wait in anticipation as I put it on speaker, waiting for him to pick up.

"Hi, this is Zayn Malik. Please leave your name and number and have a good day. Thanks." His voicemail says before it beeps.

"Hey, Dr. Malik, this is Jessabelle. You released me earlier today. You probably remember my friend Sarah, and we haven't seen her in a while. She's not answering her phone, and I was just wondering if you've seen her. Give me a call back at this number please. Thanks." I hang up and sigh. "I guess that was our last shot. Maybe we should just wait and see if he calls back."

"Yeah, I guess so." Niall sighs and I sit next to him to lay my head on his shoulder. His arms snake around my shoulders and he hugs me. "I'm sorry, Jess. We'll find her, don't worry." But all I can do right now is worry.

Niall turns on the tv and we watch some random tv show that I can't even pay attention to. "Why don't you try and fall asleep, babe? To get your mind of things?" Niall looks down at me.

"Okay." I lay down on the couch with my head where his lap is. He's right, falling asleep should help me forget about Sarah for a while. Niall sets his hand on my head and starts to brush through my hair with his fingers. It feels amazing and I instantly fall asleep.

***Niall's POV***

Her hair is so soft. I've secretly always wanted to just run my fingers through it and play with it. It's long, straight, and dark brown with a little bit of light brown highlights, but they look like normal to me, not that fake highlight stuff girls put in their hair. I really want to lean down and sniff it to see what it smells like, but she'll probably wake up. She looks so peaceful while she's sleeping. There were frown lines around her lips and a line in her forehead earlier, I could tell she wasn't okay, so I offered for her to go to sleep. That's what always helps me feel better. I'm scared that we won't find Sarah, but I'm not going to give up hope. There's always a chance we'll find her, but then again we are living in New York where there's a ton of crime. I feel terrible for Jess. What will she do if we don't get her best friend back? How long till she'll be okay again? I can't control my mind from thinking of all the possibilities that could go wrong if we never find Sarah. Jess would be so devastated I'm scared to think what would happen. She's already been in the hospital for a long time just because of a little amount of stress, this would bring her over the edge. All I can do right now is try my best to keep Jess calm and relaxed until I can find Sarah. I don't want her fainting or anything worse. I pick up my phone and begin looking through all of my contacts to see who could have even the slightest possibility of taking Sarah. My thumb stops on Zayn's name. Jess put it in my phone so I would have it just in case anything happened to her. It's been almost an hour and he hasn't contacted Jess back yet, so I decide to text him.

"Hey, Zayn. This is Niall, Jess' friend. I was wondering if you've gotten her voicemail yet?" I hit send. I'm not really sure what I am to Jess, but for now I guess I'm just a friend.

"Hey, Niall. Yes, I've listened to it. She's not at the hospital with me." He sends back a few minutes later. Jess never mentioned Sarah being at the hospital on the voicemail.... That's it. Zayn's got her there.

"Okay, thanks anyways. Let me know if you see her." I send him to not give any signs of me knowing that he has her. Why did he lie? Why couldn't he had just said that she's with him and they're hanging out or something? That means that he didn't want anyone to know.. What is he going to do to her? What has he already done to her?