The Protectors Chapter 12

Chapter 12

          Lizabeth looked up to the sky. The hundreds of stars sparkled overhead, not a single cloud was in sight. Perfect sailing conditions, just as she had ordered.

            Those who were expertly trained to control their water powers were in charge of managing the weather. Having control over rain and sun patterns made for perfect crops and mountains of food for the winter.

            Lizabeth had persuaded the weather controllers to change the rain cycle to make a safe and quick journey back to the isles for her husband.

            Anthony had been away for more than a week on business, and she was anxious for his return.

            Lizabeth was standing on the beach beside the pier, watching the waves lap up into the sand. Men were scrambling around on the pier preparing for her husbands arrival.

            Finally, Anthony’s mighty ship came into view, sailing quickly towards the pier. Lizabeth picked up her skirts and walked through the fine sand and then up onto the pier.

            Pier workers ran past her, carrying ropes and shouting orders to one another as the boat got closer.                       

            She stood back as the large ship approached the dock and ropes were tied down, and the ladder was dropped.

            Anthony was the first one to get off of the ship, and he eagerly greeted his wife, with a smile on his face.

            “Come tell me about your trip,” Lizabeth said after she kissed her husband.

            “I will, but first I have a surprise for you.”

            “What is it?”

            Anthony laughed, “Well if I told you then it would not be a surprise. Wait till we get back to the castle.”

            Lizabeth felt like a young girl again, she could not remember the last time someone had a surprise for her. Anthony would not say anything as they rode back to the castle, not even a hint.

            She ran through all the possible things it could be; New clothes, jewelry, shoes or good news about a raid.

            Once the doors closed to their chambers Anthony began to talk, “Remember I sent out Francis last week to get the crosses?”

            Lizabeth’s heart skipped a beat as she looked into her husbands smiling face, “Are you serious?” she squeaked in excitement.

            “He said he has some good news, and something to give us, and there is no way he would dare come back without the crosses.”

            “Well where is he?”

            “Outside the doors I assume, he was following us the entire time, didn’t you notice him?” Anthony asked, eyes shining.

            “Not at all, I was focusing on you.”

            He turned and yelled at the door, “You are free to come in now.”

            The large wooden door opened silently and Francis walked in. Lizabeth eyed him anxiously. He was her most trusted advisor and would do all that he could to please her, and she hoped that he had succeeded. His expression was confident, and her heart began to pound in her throat as she watched him get closer with each step.

            “I’m assuming you have something to give us,” Anthony spoke to Francis.

            “Yes, your highness,” he reached into his pocket and pulled out something on a silver chain, then held it out.

            Lizabeth gasped, as relief flowed through her body. She reached over and took the cross, feeling the cool silver in between her fingers, something she had missed for a thousand years.

            “Excellent, now where is the other?” Anthony asked.

            Fear crossed the man’s face immediately, “I could only find one.”