The Protectors Chapter 8

Chapter 8

          Tobey crawled over the front seats and into the back, where he stretched out his legs. Jade got in shortly and looked at him, “What are you doing?”

          “I’m probably going to have a nap,” he opened his bag of chips and took out a handful then offered them to Jade. She took a couple then started the car.

          “Am I really that boring?” She laughed and pulled out of the parking spot.

          “No!” He smiled and took another bite, “I’m just tired, and I can stretch out my feet. A little car like this isn’t designed for a man like me.”

          “You know you just could have moved the seat back, then you would have had plenty of room for your legs.”

          “I tried but I couldn’t find the bar underneath the seat.”

          “There is no bar,” she stopped at the exit and waited for an opening, “There is just a little button on the side of the seat.”

          Tobey followed the direction of her finger, and sure enough there was a little button. He leaned forward and pushed it. The seat slid towards him.

          “Well I feel dumb,” he laughed and pushed the seat back to its original position.

          “Nah, Lisa always sits in the front with Brianna and Arianna in the back.”

          Tobey watched her face fall slightly, “The look on Lisa’s face when you came through the doors was priceless, she almost swore in front of all the teachers.”

          Jade smiled, “Yeah that sounds like something Lisa would do… what about the twins?”

          “They were crying a little. Even Geoffrey was sad. Well not cry sad but he looked pretty out of it.”

          “I want to call them, but I left my phone behind. My mom could have tracked me if I had it with me.”

          Tobey was silent for a moment, thinking about his cell phone which was at the bottom of his bag at the moment, “Should I get rid of mine?”

          “You can keep it but you definitely cannot take it with you to the isles.”

          “I’ll just get rid of it. It’s old anyway. Do you want to call everyone later I have a bunch of minutes left if you want…?”

          “Yes please. I’ll never hear the end of it if I don’t… thank you.”

          “No problem. You bought me a bag of chips, so I owe you, “He laughed and took another handful.

          Jade laughed as she pulled back onto the highway, “You can sleep now if you want.”

          “Sounds good to me,” Tobey put the bag of chips on the floor and put his feet up, “Just don’t get pulled over because I can’t sleep if I’m wearing a seatbelt.”

          She sped up quickly then slowed down, laughing, “I’ll try my best.”