The Protectors Chapter 29

Chapter 29

          Tobey finished the last of his orange juice and set the glass down on the table. He was stuffed from brunch and there was still plenty of food left over.

          “What are you going to do with all this leftover food?” he asked and leaned back in his chair.

          “Take it back to my wife and girls, they love when I bring back this sort of stuff,” Ben swished his coffee around in his cup.

          “I guess you don’t get French toast and pancakes on the isles then…” Jade smiled.

          “No, same with pancakes and bacon, I don’t know if they are more excited to see me or see the food,” Ben chuckled.

          “So why don’t your other daughters come with you too?” Jade looked at Aryn who was making a pile of orange peels on her plate.

          “They help Katrina with her sewing, she owns a little business from our house, and does most of the work for the towns’ people. It keeps her busy when I am not around, especially since my oldest daughter left a few months ago.”

          “Did she get accepted into Lizabeth’s group of women?”

          “Oh god no, she moved up to the north part of the island with her boyfriend. He has his own farm there, and needed her help since his mother passed away recently.”

          “Aw…” Jade really didn’t know what to say.

          “I know she is in a safe place, he is a really good guy and will take care of her. They are probably going to get married soon if her mother has anything to do with it,” He smiled, “I would like to see them make it official.”

          “What are weddings like on the island?”

          “Similar to yours, except it is celebrated with most of the island, all the people come to congratulate the couple, or to have a lot to drink. It’s an all day party.”

          Tobey laughed, “Now that sounds like something I might enjoy…”

          “The beer on the island isn’t very good… I stock up whenever I come here.” Ben stood up and began collecting plates.

          The four of them brought everything inside and put the dishes in the sink. Ben took one look at the pile, shrugged and said, “We will deal with those later, let’s go enjoy the sun.”

          A few minutes later Tobey and Jade were lying on the lounges on the bottom deck. Aryn was sitting at the back of the boat looking out over the water. The hot sun beat down on them; there was not a cloud in the sky.

          “I could get used to this…” Tobey had sunscreen smeared all over his chest. He looked over to Jade, who took her t-shirt off that revealed a black mono-kini bathing suit. His eyes widened immediately.

          She felt his gaze and blushed. “What?”

          “You, uh… look very nice…” he felt his face redden.

          “Thank you, can you come put sunscreen on my back?” Jade flattened her stomach on the lounge.

          “Uh, sure,” Tobey stood up and gently brushed her hair out of the way, his heartbeat getting faster and faster as he massaged the sunscreen onto her completely exposed back.

          He remembered the shape of her back from the night before when they kissed before going to bed, her body had been pressed right up against his and it took everything he had to control himself.

          She had climbed right back onto his lap the second time within seconds the night before, and he was dying to do it again, but there was no time for that in the near future. He sighed lightly and went back to his lounge.

          “Thank you,” Jade smiled at him before closing her eyes.

          Tobey grinned back and sat down on his lounge, looking up at the sky. His stomach felt uneasy, not from sea sickness but from the thought of what was going to happen later that evening. They were going to dock shortly after midnight, and after that who knows what could happen.

          Jade seemed to have better control over her emotions than he did. She did not display even the slightest hint of terror.

          He closed his eyes and felt the hot sun on his body, there would be time to worry later.