The Protectors Chapter 6

Chapter 6

          Bright light.

            Crash.

            Silence.

            Floating.

            No pain.

            No feeling at all.

            Strange. She could remember a gut wrenching pain then complete darkness, but nothing anymore.

            She blinked three times, waiting for her eyes to adjust to the bright light that surrounded her.

            Her eyes opened just as her feet touched the ground of the grassy meadow. She took a couple steps, enjoying the beauty of what was around her.

            She looked off into the distance, to a single oak tree, its leaves swaying in the light breeze.

            Her feet trailed through the silky smooth grass as she walked towards the base of the tree.

            Something began appearing at the base of the tree as she got closer. First a bench, followed by a man sitting down.

            No sound came out of her mouth when she tried to call out. She noticed there was no sound at all. The wind didn’t make a noise in her ears like it normally did. There was no rustle of the grass as she dragged her feet through it.        

            The closer she got, the younger he looked, however she could only see the back of him. His brown hair floated in the breeze without a single gray hair, the waves staying together perfectly. He lowered his head and his hands came together.

            She walked up to his side and peered over his shoulder. He was holding something in the palm of his hands and kept turning it over.

            Curious, she walked around and stood in front of him. His head was still tilted down, hiding his face.

            However, at the moment she was more interested to what he had in his hands rather than who he was.

            He moved his fingers around the object, which exposed a quick flash of silver. She studied his strong hands. They gripped the object tightly once and then released.

            The silver object fell to the ground, revealing itself.

            The silver cross shone in the bright light.

            The man bent over to pick it up before standing up. He lifted his head and opened his eyes.

            Ocean blue eyes stared back at her and she jumped at the man’s face. Her foot hit something hard and shot pain up her leg, the first feeling she had experienced in this place.

            She looked down to see what she had kicked. A Grey stone protruded from the grass, which had begun to take on a much darker tone. It was no longer bright green, but a dark, dead look.

            She studied the man’s face. It was Tobey’s face, but it looked like he was in pain. His eyes sparkled as tears swam and threatened to spill over.

            He walked over to the grey stone in the ground and draped the silver cross across the top. The chain dangled over the other side.

            “I Tried Jade,” he whispered and vanished right in front of her eyes.

            She bent over to read the name on the stone. Her heart stopped for a moment when she saw her own name carved perfectly in intricate black letters.

            Taking a deep breath, she stood up and backed away. Everything disappeared in front of her in a flash of white light.

            All that was left was the bright light in the distance. She could feel the warmth of it radiating off her skin.

            Jade Cooper took one last breath before walking into the light.