The Protectors Chapter 29

Chapter 29

          Jade pulled out of the school parking lot before everyone started pouring out of the building.

            “I think you just scared the crap out of everyone who was in there. Including me,” Tobey said, inspecting the interior of Jade’s car.

            “I had to say goodbye,” she began, “I was packing all of my photo albums, and there was a picture of you and me in one of them.”

            “Why did you put a picture of me in there?” he laughed.

            “I didn’t. Lisa did. My friends made me one for my birthday, and I guess someone took a picture of us in science class, I don’t really remember it, but its in there.”

            “Ah. Um, where are we going?” Tobey asked, looking around, trying to figure out where they were.

            “Going to your house.”

            “My house is in the opposite direction,”

            “Oh, oops,” Jade turned around and then checked the clock, “Oh, what do you know, I’m supposed to be leaving for the airport now, guess that’s not going to happen.”

            “Why were you even leaving?” Tobey asked.

            “My mom wasn’t very happy about us being friends, so she was going to take me and leave. Well Jared would be coming too, then we all go live in Paris, happily ever after, blah blah blah,”

            “Would you have gone? I mean, if I didn’t ask you to stay back at the school?”

            Jade was quiet for a second before she responded, “I don’t know. I have no idea what I would have done.”

            Tobey gave instructions to his house and then continued talking, “What are you going to do now?”

            “I have to get the cross back. That’s number one on my list. But after that, I don’t know what I’m going to do. My parents will be furious whenever I see them again, along with Jared. This entire thing could mess up their future, but they have plenty of money. I’m going to live my life the way I want too.”

            “You can always stay with me,”

            Jade smiled and squeezed his hand, “Thank you, but I don’t know how well that would go over with everyone. I might have to rent a place, that is if my parents don’t lock me up until I’m 18.”

            “Its this one, with the white truck in the driveway,” Tobey said, pointing out of the front window.

            She saw the white Avalanche in the driveway and smiled, “Wow my mom actually listened to me.” Her heart fell a little bit, her mother had bought a truck for Tobey, and then she just decides to stay.

            “I should probably thank your mom for that…” he began.

            “I don’t know if you will ever get the chance.” Jade turned off the engine and got out of the car, “Is anyone home?”

            “Doesn’t look like it, but I have a key,” he stuck his hands in his pockets and his face fell, “uh, I do not have a key…”

            Jade sighed, “Are there any windows open?”

            “I always leave my bedroom window unlocked, but it might be difficult to get in,” he said as they began walking around the side of the house.

            She looked at the window he pointed two, which was a good five feet from the ground, “You might need something to stand on.” Over on the deck there was a patio table with a set of chairs. She brought one over and set it under the window.

            “I’ll meet you at the front.”